Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the moons phases to determine a Bucks rutting activity? If not, how do you determine the rut ?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I just don't like full moon during the rut. :no:I really like those misty mornings and overcast days. I do look at scrape activity and doe behavior when bucks are trailing/near. When the does rear leg glands are black/dark its time. The bucks rear glands also will have turned black from urine. I know some hunters swear by those date and prime movement charts. I tend to watch the deer as they will reveal what's happening.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I just base everything on the TV shows and books. So the "experts" kind of tell me when it's good to hunt for bucks moving around. Kinda weird, some stranger on TV saying when it's a good time to hunt in your area.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I just base everything on the TV shows and books. So the "experts" kind of tell me when it's good to hunt for bucks moving around. Kinda weird, some stranger on TV saying when it's a good time to hunt in your area.
Yea, last year I was watching Deer & Deer Hunting and some guy was estimating on what day the rut was really going to 'pick up' and he was right - they remind me of Weather Men :lol:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
that guy is Charlie Alshimer and hes been studying deer for 20+ years.he has a farm in upstate NY.he does amazing photography of deer.He works for deer and deer hunting magazine .which is by far the best one of all the deer mags.the rutting moon is the second full moon after the fall equinox this year it will be nov 13th.the chase phase of the rut will be from the 13th to 27th Of course weather and human contact can alter deer behaviorBy the way the pre rut will start oct 14th and run into the full blown rut.Yet another reason to bow hunt:thumbup:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome Joel, you're the man!! you're right on with those dates and according to the Rutting moon
the "peak rut" is going to be Nov. 20th this year the "rut" will start 12 days before the "peak rut" so the rut will start on Nov. 8th
it will end 12 days after "peak rut" which will be Dec 2nd this year.

Note: the pre rut starts on the first full moon after the fall equinox which this year is Oct. 14th

I think this is going to be a banner year for Youth hunters :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I personally don't think the rut is based on the full moon cycle. The peak rut here falls more or less at the same time each year. Within a few days anyway. The hunters moon does not. I do think the full moon affects deer movement, big time. And rutting behavior as well. As hunters in the field we see only a small window of what the deer are doing in a 24 hour period. Full moons affecting deer movement can give us a misconception of what's going on if we aren't careful.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
there is a different time line for the south,i only know the northern one.the reason has to do with the difference in sunlight i believe,never paid attetion because it didnt effect me

R

·
0 Posts
on that list of books there was hunting deer by the moon and moon struck. they deal with this very topic. interesting reads whether you buy into it or not. i do. i think the heat and weather play a role along with hunting pressure and some other things that are also addressed in these books. i think the rut falls according to the moon but if the weather is hot then it may appear different or strung out if you will. most of the top guys that have studied deer will say that the moon does dictate the rut. the rut is mainly run by the does. the bucks are ready to breed when they are hard horned its the girls that say ok or not ok.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yea Ron, thats what I've gathered. Bucks are ready and waiting on the does. Dr James Kroll wrote that the timing of the Hunters moon appearence to peak rutting date determined wether the rut was intense or spreadout or trickle rut as he called it. Actual amount of darkness in a night was the key. That's why the moon had an influence. Full moon gives alot of light confusing the situation. In his book he told of an experiment they did on deer in a controlled light situation. They could affect the timing of receptiveness but not control it. It was interesting stuff. I agree the moon has an effect, but does not dictate it. There was also some work on northern deer vs southern deer. That was an eye opener also. One thing for sure, if there's a full moon deer won't move well in the morning. They'll move late and mid day better. I'll be out there for all of it regardless, grins.........

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check out the rut report on versuscountry.com. There is a lot of good info on the rut. I think Joel is right on for the north. Man, I'm getting pumped up for this season. Ohio opens archery on the Sept 27th this year.:w00t:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
good topic! I do believe weather can start or delay the rut by a few days based on increase/decrease light. Hot /cold snaps can change the rut some, but like most things that mother nature does it comes within a couple of days either way every year. Wheather it's the moon's influence or the reduced sun angle, shortens daylight hours, the rut will happen and in 30 days or so it will happen again. I don't look at anything except the deer/sign. They are like a GPS they will tell you everything you need to know about the rut just by observation. I have seen does bump bucks in the rump in late pre-rut Holloween time frame and in two more days the bucks are chasing the same does? No question there is more to learn about the rut. This is a good discussion:smile:

R

·
0 Posts
it is a good topic. I mean i wouldn't bet my life on the whole moon deal but from that charles guy and dr deer and jeff murray and all those guys it is a major player so i'll take their word for it. then add what i've noticed in the woods over the years and it all fits. either way i'm in a tree if the season is in and i'm not working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts