Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason i tend to tear them up alot, anyone else have to replace theirs? my dealer says they help keep my bow shootin smooth and balanced but im not sure why they tear off so easy it seems.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
they are basically shock absorbers they quiet down the string noise & reduce the shock
never tore one though
don't know what type you are using. I use the Fuse string shox
only thing that ever tore on me was the peep sight tube but now I run a tubeless sight nothing worse then having that break when you have an animal in your sights
What bow do you have?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a hoyt powerhawk and these came with it not sure what kind they are i also broke my tube lots of time so i had to go with a normal peep as well or risk insanity lol

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
that is strange should be the same ones on my Rampage XT
Hoyt uses the fuse shox as far as I know
I would ask your bow shop what they would recommend

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have the string leeches from the Hoyt I used to have, on my new Bear bow. After around 5000+ shots between the two bows I finally managed to rip half of one of the leeches. I guess they just get wore out after time.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Do you notice any difference shooting without them?
If not I would just shoot without them no real need to have them unless you get noticable string shock or it is louder

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
That is odd Your bow can't be that old
one other thing I do is when waxing my bow I also wax the silencers too
I use Scorpion Venom Polymeric Bowstring Wax. it is a soft paste so it applies easy. could be they are dry rotting or weather cracking what ever you want to call it

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Pretty easy fix and inexpensive to replace. I agree that they look battered and torn. There are so many string noise suppressors out there I'd head to the local bow shop and have them install a couple of new ones. If you are a little bit handy they are pretty easy to install. Some advertisers claim that their products increase the bow speed, don't know/believe if that claim is true. All the major stores sell similar products. I think they all work to some degree to suppress string noise.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
HM I think the opposite anything on your string should slow it down it is added weight & resistance they will all tell us what we want to hear but what do I know
only thing I do know is they do suppres noise & vibration

Huntanglergirl I would try a different brand & see what happens as HM stated not an expenive fix

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
NO HM I know what you meant My Bad I was refering to the "Some advertisers" not you

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
got ya! If my memory serves me they were called speed balls or something like that! I think the claim was as string is set in motion the extra weight slings the string forward accelerating it????

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Premature wear of string suppressors such as those on mathews bows can be caused by your cam or cams being out of alignment.If you keep going thru them fast im willing to bet your bow is out of alignment.Also anything added to your string decreases speed by a few f.p.s.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the input everyone , ill ask the guy at my shop about my alignment and possibly tougher vibe supressors hopefully that'll fix the issue. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts