Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

And today, 2 coats of LMF Honey Maple stain put on nice and wet. I have 4 coats on it now but this is when it had 2 coats.

Im not sure how many more coats i will use, i have to test the barrel channel with some stock finish and see how it looks.

Shes coming along quite smoothly. My supplies from birchwood casey should be in later this week and so then i will be able to start the metal work and do the polishing/browning on the steel trim as well as plumb brown the barrel. We're shooting for a matte finish but i said if i don't feel that it looks right, i will use some compound and buff it to a shine.

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
looks good. Lymans all have that certain front to back grain line in their stocks which gives light and dark hues. You would have to purchase an outside co product to get a really fancy stock and pay for it too. Keeping the grain flowing parrallel front to back makes for the strongest stock. You can always pick out a Lyman in a line-up just by their wood stock apperance. They make decent rifles and kits. One buddy in PA has a flint model Lyman. I sold my Lyman flint 54 to up-grade to you know.... not CVA. I'm not a big fan of Birchwood products though. Anyway we'll have to see finish product and see how the custom FG Lyman kit stacks up against a factory model :w00t:

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
soaked the stock with antique oil finish " kind of like a boiled linseed finish" and buffed it with 0000 steel wool. This cleans up any dark soak spots due to the wood train and makes everything just pop out at you. Looks beautiful! It was to late for pictures so i will get some tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.