Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you've seen my thread about the 160" rack/skull I found, you might have seen that I mentioned it was in the same woods where an albino lives.

Today I went out near sunset and got lucky, I spotted him eating in the undergrowth and got some good footage of him.

Towards the end of the video is when I got closer to him, when he realized something was watching him so he circled around me about 90 degrees and then came up really close (15 yards) till he smelled me and ran off a distance.

I'll try to get out this fall during the rut just to see if I can rattle him in or just do some more photographing/video shooting. Since it's illegal in TN to kill albino deer (but not turkeys...why?)

YouTube - Rare Albino Whitetail Buck

·
Registered
799 Posts
Cool, you got some really good footage there.
Thanks

actually, albinos are not all that rare. just really uncommon in most areas. you will see what I mean if he tops a doe with an albino gene, and the area you are in is remote enough to keep the gene pool bottled up.
There are some areas where the albino gene is what you would call rampant. and because the deer are protected, so also are the genes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I figured he would be spreading his albino genes around, in fact I've heard from a couple people that they've seen albinos in a few different places around the Franklin TN area, so there could very well be more. But what I'm more interested in is the genes that the 170" buck spread around before he died and I picked up his skull. 170 class is a lot bigger than most deer in our area, where a good one would normally be about 100 inches. I thought my 110" non typical shed set was big, till I found the 170. Hopefully there will be more like it and maybe I might get the chance to hunt one for the first time this fall.

G

·
a lot of states protect the white deer, why i don't. most biologists would rather they be taken out of the breeding population.

·
Registered
799 Posts
a lot of states protect the white deer, why i don't. most biologists would rather they be taken out of the breeding population.
I believe it has a lot to do with the native american mystic placed on the white deer. the indians gave the white animal in general a prominent spiritual hierarchy. And that probably carried somehow to this day. I personally believe they should be treated as any other deer, the albino gene is resessive and in some animals creates certain weaknesses.
Its a waste in my opinion that the animal should live out their life without ever having benefited anyone. I think an albino hide or mount would be an atractive display. not to mention having to pass a shot and not have the oppertunity to put the meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed predator. especially an albino with a big rack. Hopefully someday TN and other states will get rid of that law and by then the gene pool of albinos will be much bigger and we'll have plenty of them to shoot. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts