Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all heard it. In our efforts to play it cautious, we have probably even muttered it. but what if anything do we do to keep the untimely ill fates from knocking on our door while in the field.

well, for me. cell phones have made it easy to stay in touch, but just in case, I leave and always have left with my wife a copy of a topo map and the exact area marked on it that I will be hunting that day.

A topo map really makes it easy for authorities to pin down your location.
especialy when you are hunting big woods like a national forest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the topo map idea. I always take a cell phone with me when I go in the woods anywhere (haven't been deer hunting yet but I hope I will get the chance this fall).

When I'm out I don't ever expect anything seriously bad to happen to me although I know it's possible. I guess I just like the element of danger and the risk really isn't that high to cause concern (it's not like I'm free climbing 500 foot cliffs).

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
On our lease we just started having cell phone service last year. Its a hit and miss type signal though. That makes me feel a little more comfortable. Prior to that we carried radios if we were hunting the same day. If your hunting by yourself you make darn sure you are safety minded.

My wife knows who to call if I havent made it back or she hasnt heard from me by the time its getting later than usual. For the most part me and the other lease hunters know where each other are. They could find me if they needed too. They are it though. Nobody else in America could help pinpoint me better. Everyone else would have a ball park of 600 acres to start their search in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.