Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thompson Center lays off 66, furloughs 37 in NH

ROCHESTER, N.H. (AP) Rifle-maker Thompson Center Arms, one of the largest employers in Rochester, N.H., laid off 66 workers this week and furloughed another 37.

Company owner Smith & Wesson said the layoffs were prompted by a drop in sales of the company's black powder hunting rifles.

The cuts accounted for almost 29 percent of Thompson Center Arms' work force, bringing the number of workers at the factory to roughly 250. That's almost half of what it was just under a year ago.

The company cut 80 jobs in September and 36 last March.

·
Registered
790 Posts
No trend. Things REALLY are that bad. AND it will get worse. So many just skipping along ignoring what is going on around them. Time to dig in because this is going to get rough. It does not make me feel good to say it either.:sad:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
One of our sister plants is basically getting shut down. They are laying off about 80% of the workforce. Every other plant in the group are receiving alot of extra time off. So far we have received just extra shutdown days. Not as many as the rest of the fellows. These lay offs are all over the place. Bridgestone talks about how much money we are losing but we just spent 32 million on the Super Bowl last night. I dunno how well those ads payoff but they have alot of work to do to make up that much money..

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'm tied to the midwest oil refinery industry and currently they are running at 50% capacity and with labor contracts in progress they've threaten to just shut the plants down. In our sulfuric acid refinery we're at our lowest production that I can ever remember in the last 34 years. WMI no doubt things haven't bottomed out yet, we're just in the first stage of the national trickle down affect.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You think you have it bad. I live in Rhode Island. There are no jobs here. Factories and buisness are closing almost daily. And when you try to collect the backlog is eight weeks before a payday! And now our govenor is talking about restructuring the taxes. Of course the middle class is gonna get screwed there! Things get much worse here and I may be moving.:ranting:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
reminds me of the 70's:wallbash: we got through that hopefully we get through this.we need to start making things in America again and stop shipping our jobs overseas:no:.All i can say is make sure you got plenty of ammo stashed away:whistling:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with prices on ther rise my friends and I have an agreement to call each other when we see good deals on ammo/hunting supplies.
Always helps when you can save a little here and there.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Everytime I turn on the news there is something about a company closing or cutting back their workforce bigtime. It just adds up to the unemployment rate. Around here it's happening alot

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
We are getting next week off.. They say our inventories are to fat.. Tires arent selling.. Rumor is we willl start this 1 week shutdown a month again for awhile..

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
when times got bad at my union shop we would split time one guy works for a week then takes a week off .at least this way everyone got some money and benifits.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Here at sworofski we have been fairly lucky with no layoffs yet.they moved 3rd shift down to 2nd and cut us down to 4 days a week.fridays off!!i guess anything will do rather than getting layed off.that stinks about thompson center.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hard Times

Hi all , sorry to hear of your problems . All I hear from the gov. is they want you to spend spend spend go into the banks for money . I believe that what got us in this spot the gov. had the bank loan money to people who could not pay it back, so we all have to pay it ( only working tax paying working people ) O well lets not go there .:crybaby::mad::wallbash:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Yep.. We are still doing the 1 week off a month deal.. Prob for the rest of the year.. Our contract expired last Saturday so hopefully they will have that worked out before we go back to work this Sunday.. No massive concessions is what Im pulling for..

On a better note the stock market has pulled up the past couple of weeks.. Now if we could only get Washington to quit spending our money before we even send it to them we may start to climb out of this junk in a couple decades..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
this has all goten out of control. 700 billion to bail out failed companys, and to make matters worce our brillant leaders did nothing to stop these incompident executives from using this $$$ to write them selfs 2 rounds of bonusses toteling 81 million. and thats just AIG. now because of all of this nonsence good self seficshant companys like TC and the amarican tax payer are getting the raw end of the deal.:wallbash:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
We went down to 50% production of sulfuric acid. We are now running 85% which is pretty good. Acid use is a good indicator of how hard the gas refineries are running. 401-K is turning up so thats a good thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I really hate to hear about this stuff happening to people. And its extremely frustrating to see so many people really high up actually making things worse to drum up support for their agenda. Depressing.

the Army will take whoevers willing. Youre over 18 and under 40 we'll take ya. Job security right there. Although I doubt that the defense budget is safe for very much longer. Its already taken one hit, im sure there are many to come.

And BTW to any and all who are interested, if it really gets bad up there. There is daily talk in the news locally that our job market is very strong in Texas, especially in the San Antonio metro area. We're actually still growing. Check it out. Texas is riding out the reccession alot better than the rest of the country. There are no closed shops so union membership isnt required plus very few TX based banks took part in the sub prime market and even fewer took bailout money so there is actually credit too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts