Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past year i started jumping the gun on shooting. Id shoot before i had the pin where i wanted it. I have never done this before. No matter how hard i tried i couldnt stop it. I use to shoot tournaments and never had this problem. Win i shot at deer i didnt do it. Any ideas on what i can do to stop this? Like i said its only when im shooting at a target.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Most likely its called target panic. What I've read is to go through your shooting form. Start with each motion concentrating on every step. You may be punching the release instead of pulling through. The arrow should go off without you thinking about it, just concentrate on the target spot.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i absoulty agree. when i shoot my bow I focus on every step. i grip the release the same way, grip the bow the same way, draw the bow the same way, ancher the same way, aquire the sight picture, then and only then do i take my trigger finger out from behind the trigger, and get ready to shoot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i absoulty agree. when i shoot my bow I focus on every step. i grip the release the same way, grip the bow the same way, draw the bow the same way, ancher the same way, aquire the sight picture, then and only then do i take my trigger finger out from behind the trigger, and get ready to shoot.

When you find your form of shooting, its gotta be close to perfect everytime you shoot, def if you shoot a short brace height bow.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
one thing i learned about shooting is you can do everything wrong, but if you do everything wrong exactly the same way everytime you can be one hell of a good shot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a great deal of truth to what huntNH just posted. Consistency in everything you do is paramount. There have been times that a deer was doing the death run before I realized I had loosed an arrow. Breaking the whole thing down into specific tasks and refining your technique on each then putting them together in quick succession is a developmental process by which you achieve the final goal of a well placed broadhead that cuts the indivual hair you were aming at. You want to build up to the point to where all you focus on is your target and the rest is on autopilot.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Using a release you should not have this issue. The big question here is how long has it been since you really shot your bow? Most times this is caused by too much poundage for the shooter. This being said the answer is two fold, 1 could be that you need to work your strength back up to last year, 2 is you back the draw weight back down 2 or 3 lbs and leave it there or work your way back up. Your problem is target panic USUALLY caused by the need to release your arrow due to strain of hold back the higher poundage. If you continue doing this for a long period it can cause a compound of other bad habits. Try my idea because I am sure this is the case. I have been there myself. :wallbash:
Need to add in this: if you use a 10 to 20 lbs barbell then do a one handed push up position off of the seat section of a chair. Hold yourself like you are shooting a bow, work the weight very slowly up and down but hold the weight to your cheek for 15 seconds each time you will be in shape in no time. This will build up both arms as well as your back which is just as important in shooting.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
target panic USUALLY caused by the need to release your arrow due to strain of hold back the higher poundage.
this atleast in my mind could explain why it dont happen when your aiming at a deer. all the adrenilean pumping through your body wile aiming at a deer could cause you to not feel the strain like you would just aiming at a target.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts