Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I hunt we are allowed to deer hunt over bait. That being said, I have heared that using plain regular Iodized Salt will bring in just as many deer as a flavored store bought mineral block. Is there any truth to this and has anyone had any result with this tactic?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I would think so,, but honestly haven't tried it. Deer will lick the salt licks that cows use. the mineral licks aren't very expensive though. You can get one here that is about as big as a basketball and it's only $5. The thing is, you need to find a moist area and bury it so that it gets into the soil. I had a buddy put out one of these mineral blocks and he didn't bury it... didn't do the trick. Even with salt, I would find a good place along a travel route and bury the majority of the salt, then leave a little on top for the deer to find. They'll do the rest.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what i will do this year is try both and see which one gives me the best results, then i will post what i find on here. Although, as i'm sure every hunter can attest, you can do everything right and the deer just be stubborn...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I second the water softener salt I use the crushed stuff. I also top it with stumplicker so far it has worked great in a bunch of different areas for me. They will dig a big hole in the ground

·
Registered
32 Posts
My buddy works at a corn chip plant and we used his floor sweepings (crushed corn and grease and salt, the basic ingredients of the manufacturing process) and the deer LOVE it!
Dug a hole about two foot square and mixed the sweepings in with the dirt as we filled in the hole back in. Took the deer a few days to find it. But after that, it was on.
Salt is a mineral that most deer lack in their diet.
The crushed salt is good to use as well. Mix it in the dirt. They will come.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have a friend that swears by it. i have never used regualar "table" salt. he says it works great. your thread may perk my intrest again and i may try it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts