Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so another great moring to be a stand in centeral ohio i had 8 to turkeys and no Deer there where three about 250 yards away 3 doe's i am going to give woods a rest for the rest of the week to see if they come into rut. any thoughts form the experts!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Not an expert but if you have the time to be out there give it a shot. You never know what'll be there when you're not....like the lotto "gotta be in it to win it"... just a thought...... Good Luck

G

·
ya i'm still waiting to see the experts' responses. i'd be in a tree whenever i had the chance from now to the end of the season.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Hey you seen 3. They just happened to be out of range. Thats better than seeing nothing. Im like the above posts. If I had the time to be out there I would. Rut or not.
I would be out there too !!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with these guys you have to hunt to see them! I have seen way more animals that there is no shot on and am perfectly content with that. Sooner or later they will get closer and I will be there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Roadkill . . . I am new to the forum, but like you am hunting in central Ohio. I have been out three evenings a week for the past two weeks and it was just last night that I got a hint of the prerut going on. I have attached pictures of several bucks that started scraping over these past two weeks, and then last night a doe and twins showed at the stand around 5:30. Ten minutes or so later in the waning light a small antlered buck nosed in and sent the does scurring around. Then a larger buck started thrashing in the multiflora brush in the adjacent gully. He muscled in and sent the smaller buck packin but it was too dark to get an idea of his rack . . ,but he looked like bulky grey block on stilts. Keep the faith and take a seat in a tree. I thnik the next few weeks are going ot be exciing. Where are you hunting in OHIO?

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Now is the time for leg work. Everything is happening FAST! Cover as much ground as possible looking for the best, freshest, and strongest sign of a good buck. Hunt it now! Bucks are on the move checking doe groups and only hanging around in certain areas for 3-5 days at a time moving on to the next group. Stay mobile but ALWAYS scout with the wind in your favor.

The other school of thought method is to locate doe bedding areas and hunt the down wind side 75-100 yards away depending on available cover and wait them out.

I myself am a trophy/mature buck hunter utilizing both methods. If you want to hunt doe areas try to locate mature older does because this is where the action will heat up first. Most buck activity will be around the older does. Now for the second rut you can locate the young doe groups that bucks will search for trying to get one last chance for love before it is over till next season. It is important to locate older does because their estrous cycle is stronger than the younger girls. Keep in mind nature of breeding is about the continuation of the species. Older does produce twins or even triplets where as young does produce single offspring. Bucks can smell the difference in the estrus cycle searching for the best chance to keep their gene line going into future generations. This is one of the best kept secrets of hunting mature bucks.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Gecko4life, I'm afraid we all have seasons like that and I don't know where you are but
the rutting Activities are coming into play and maybe that will make a difference for you
in your hunting area. Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm with ya. Haven't seen much and spent many many hours out there almost everyday since archery opened. Sometimes finding a new spot helps. That what I did yesterday and as soon as I climbed my tree at around 8am i looked to my left and there was a four point coming in sniffing my tinks69. Could have shot but just a four point. Anyway, hopefully things pick up this up coming week i HOPE! Just not much going on other that that 4. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same boat haven't seen a deer from my stand yet this season. Seen some signs of deer n my land but have yet to see anything would like to see the bucks that's been scraping up the trees lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
another day gone i seen three does this morning they must have sented me because they took off. still no bucks. If they are rutting i have not seen crap. this evenig the four wheels came out to play behind my proerty needless to say no deer. Try in the morrning then back to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
gecko4life - I feel your pain. I gotta believe that I have the worse luck! I've been out almost everyday for the past 2-3 weeks and nothing! I have seen just one 4 point buck in shooting range last sat. That's it. Just no action. I am switching between two spots. I think I am going to quit the one spot (top of a mountain) there's just nothing moving around. Gonna find something new. Can't hurt. I'm already not seeing anything. Any tips out there?!

I see these doe in this small grass field every night (except for tonight) when I drive out of the area where I was hunting and thought perhaps I should set up near this field and wait for them in the late afternoon/evening...? What do you think? Good idea? There's only 4 days left here for archery...Gotta try something.

I WAS hunting this very small strip of woods in private land that I recorded a 10 point buck in late Oct and in late Sept. But have hunted there for weeks and saw nothing. Just nothing. Not even smaller buck. Got really discouraging and went up to this mountain spot. At least I saw a 4 pointer. Wonder if I should go back to this 10 point spot...? Now that the rut is supposedly "in".

Any advice?

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Congratulations roadkill !!!, Venison doesn't require big antlers to taste good! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.