Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
A lot of good advice. I have hunted a lot of state land also. The only thing I can add that I haven't seen yet is if possible, find water. Somewhere that you need hip boots to get to and even hunt right in the middle of it. The best years I had on state land were when I was hunting in a swampy marsh surrounded by hunters in the woods. Then one year the beaver dam that had created the swamp washed out and it was all dried up. The spot was never any good after that. Also, if you do shoot a buck, wait until after dark to drag it out if possible so that nobody sees it, otherwise you will have company the next year. If there is snow on the ground try to get a friend to help you carry it out (after dark or it could be a target for some of the clowns out there). Believe it or not, I have actually had people back track my drag marks to find out where I shot a buck. It's sad because you wish you could just show it off to anyone you pass and they would be happy for you, but reality is, there are a lot of lazy hunters who don't have character.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.