Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here are the main items a land owner wants to know about a hunter.
1. Is he safe?
2. Is he a person of integrity (can he be trusted and is he honest)?
3. How will he treat my property (goes back to item #2)?
4. Is he an ethical hunter (goes back to item #2)?
5. Am I being played (goes back to item #2)?

Ask the land owner(s) if there is something they would like you to do to show them you are safe, responsible and trustworthy. Ask if you can help with the property. If they have buildings, ask if there is any maintenance that you can do on the buildings (only ask this if you have experience in that area). If they use firewood, ask if you can help them with the firewood. If they have livestock, ask if you can help with the fencing or working with the livestock. You might end up helping to clean barns, pens an another undersirable job. If so, are you willing to do the dirty job and the work? If not, don't say you are willing to show them you can be trusted.

I grew up on a farm, but I now live in a city a long way from home. When I go home, I go home to see my parents/other family members and to help with the farm work. I don't go home during the hunting season.

I got to know a couple who knew I came from a farm. One day the husband asked if I ever deer hunted. I told him my hunting background (I had shot some deer while growing up on the farm) and the ethics/safety my dad had taught his sons (my sisters did not hunt). He asked if I would be interested in hunting on their land. I told him the truth - that I was very interested. I thanked him for the oportunity.

We hunted together for years. The times when I got a deer and he did not, I gave them half or more of the venison (I paid for the processing). If we both got a deer, I still gave them some venison and the item(s) they enjoyed the most. If he got a deer and I did not, they gave me some of their venison.

There were times I would go out to their farm to target practice and discover they could use help getting the crops planted. It was more important for their crops to be planted than for me to target practice, and I was glad to help. I was like another child to them, and they were like a second set of parents to me. We totally trusted each other. The husband has since died, but the wife is still living. The son that has bought the land is not a hunter. I have his permisson to hunt there, and I do still hunt there. If I get a deer this year, they will again get venison of their choice.

Another posiblility is joining a hunting/sportsmens' club. Quite often, the members of the club do work for the landowners in exchange for hunting privileges. Check to see if a hunting club is in your area. I hope this helps.

One last thing, always leave the land better and cleaner when you leave.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.