Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started painting up the stands today. I use a 4 color random pattern which does pretty well in PA. Base is olive green then brown followed by a tan then a black for shading/blending. Wally's world sells the camo paints.

G

·
I see that your publ

I see that your published centont is rather observant as it highlights plenty of great data. Well, was curious whether you would willing to interchange contacts with my site, as I am looking forward to generate more web links to further extend and make headway for my web space. I do not mind you placing my links at the front page, just accepting this links on this particular page is great and enough. Also, please leave a message at my web portal if you are interested in the link exchange, I would really like that. Thanks a lot and hope to get a reply from you as soon as possible!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tree Stand

Yesterday I finally broke down a purchased a new Loggy Boyou off of Craig's list. I have been trucking around all steel climbers since the mid 80's. I cannot beleive it took me so long!

G

·
I followed you inrsn

I followed you inrsnuctiots to the tee I sent a message from my webpage it's been 10 mins and I have not received the message .could it be the server being slow? I did not receive any error messages so i am assuming so. please help

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just bought a couple on new stands this week. on sale for 34.99 and couldn't pass them up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
climbers

I take it you're all referring to climbing tree stands.I went to a ladder stand 3 years ago and will never go back.At least I hope I never have to.If you don't own one and have somewhere to hunt where it won't get stollen you really need to give one a try.I assure you that you'll love it.No more feeling like you're going to fall out or wondering if it will stay secured to the tree.And if you like a lot more room for yourself or a friend,for just a little more you can get a double seater.My hunting buddy bought one,a 2 seater,for $99 at Wall Mart last year.That's what my single seater cost me at Bass Pro Shop.

G

·
Well you can sign up

Well you can sign up for my newsletter at my wtbisee if thats what you were asking. And 2. I would think the fundamentals behind selling art (whether it be painting, or photography) is the same. ArtEmpowers is certainly loaded with great lessons and information and has a great moral support community to keep you feeling accountable to keeping your momentum (which is so important).  Hope that helps.Michael

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I added 3 more ladders this year
They are quite to slip in them
I dont really know how many we have out there

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't think they limit you at all, not if you have plenty out there, grins. I have several set for rifle season. I use hangons and a climber for bow season for mobility. They are easy to get into and quiet.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I dont think they limit you. I just think there are instances/situations where each type of stand can be used.

For me its like this.

Bow season---- most definitly a climber or a hang on.

Woods hunting with a smoke pole or rifle---- I only use a climber or hang on in this instance as well.

Field hunting with smoke pole or rifle---- This is an area where I think a ladder, ground blind, shooting house, ground hunting, or any other type of stand can be used effectively and get the job done.

I know you can use the ladders in the woods but there are 2 reasons I dont. First off im lazy and dont want to carry the bulky ladder stand up the side of the mountain. Plus in the woods I feel like im more concealed with a hang on or climber. You can still shoot deer out of a ladder in the woods I just feel more confident with the other 2 options. And for me if I am confident in the stand than I can sit longer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here or There

When you put stands all over the place how do you choose which one to sit in on any particular day.I have one ladder stand and keep it in one place all year.I usaully shoot anywhere from 3 to 6 deer per year from that one spot.I keep doing the same thing and expect to get the same results.If you move over there how do you know the deer aren't over here and vice versa.I believe you up your odds the longer you stay in one spot as long as you know you're in a productive spot.Just my thoughts on the matter.I retrieved my video card from my camera today and put a fresh one in.It's about 25 yards from my stand.It was last changed 4 days ago.It had collected 30,4 minute videos.That's the limmit for that memory card.So I think I'm in what will be a productive spot.And with care and proper scent management I should have no reason to move.

G

·
you know by knowing your woods and the deer habits in those woods. which aren't the same everywhere. nh is the second most forested state in the country. meaning deer pretty much bed anywhere they want. feed where ever the mast is which is more or less everywhere.

its related to deer densities. places with liberal seasons, such as wherever you are from, have higher deer densities and normally more agriculture so deer a more patternable. not so here in nh. deer will cycle trough in cycles of 3 to 7 days so thats alot of sitting in sterile woods. shooting 3 to 6 deer a season ain't the same as shooting a mature buck with only 1 tag in your pocket. its easy to burn out a stand. no ones scent control is good enough and guy can't help but leave scent behind. sit one to many days in a row or scent it up and the older wiser deer will avoid the area. so the result is multi stands, in multi location, for different food sources, at different times of the season, with different weapons. with all the variables and low deer densities how can one stand low to the ground or below the line of sight of a deer serve all? it can't.

nothing wrong with a ladder stand except most are to short, for my liking based on the mountain sides and bow range, but there places that nothing else will work.

if one ladder in one place year around works for you, great, but it won't work like that everywhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
bouncing around

You're right about deer densities.Here you are alowed to take an unlimited number of does during bow season.That might tell you something about the number of deer in this area.And as for the number of deer I shoot,they are normally 6 points or less.I will normally take the first thing that walks by.I've never been an antler hunter.But this year the other person that hunts this property and I made a pact not to shoot any bucks under 8 points.That still leaves the does and little dear wide open.And I will probably continue to be a meat hunter and take the first thing that comes along.But we hope to let the small bucks get bigger before harvesting them.

G

·
You're right about deer densities.Here you are alowed to take an unlimited number of does during bow season.That might tell you something about the number of deer in this area.And as for the number of deer I shoot,they are normally 6 points or less.I will normally take the first thing that walks by.I've never been an antler hunter.But this year the other person that hunts this property and I made a pact not to shoot any bucks under 8 points.That still leaves the does and little dear wide open.And I will probably continue to be a meat hunter and take the first thing that comes along.But we hope to let the small bucks get bigger before harvesting them.
now that makes sense. kudos to you and the guys that are showing the self discipline to let grow. does eat great and if there are too many deer why not whack a few does and let that buck get big? i posed that question to folks before. why, if you can shoot a bunch of does, would a guy shoot an immature buck? the only answer i get is we like to stir our sloppy does with a spike antler.

·
Registered
602 Posts
bow season, i use my climber. Gun season i have 9 ladderstands and 3 shooting houses to pick from. there in its self is a dilema. lol. never know where to go hunt. lol. i use my climber during gun the hunt new spots to see, if i need to move a stand or get another.

G

·
I remember that day.

I remember that day. It was right aorund when I "met" you and Craig via the (now defunct) running between tweets. I remember relating so much because Cort had had to let his dad go too. To hold his hand and tell him he would take care of the family. Sigh The loss really never gets easier. But he is right your children will know her.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
With too many stands to count you can hunt the wind, the water, or just a good feeling
I do have one stand i always hunt on thanksgiving morning .and thats what i named it..I got 2 good bucks off it

G

·
With too many stands to count you can hunt the wind, the water, or just a good feeling
I do have one stand i always hunt on thanksgiving morning .and thats what i named it..I got 2 good bucks off it
what? is it the closest one to the dinner table? yea buddy lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts