Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Personally, I don't think so....but you might and probably will get a few mixed answers....But I do think it is important to give the stand a few days to let the deer get acustomed to it.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
The sooner you get it up the better, it may take time for the deer to cozy up to it but they will come.
Good luck to you and Welcome to the site

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
nope long as you keep the scent down.I place my climber the base of the tree and lock it up then spray it with scent killer

R

·
0 Posts
I put the stands out a month before the season. one to get the scent gone and two so the deer have time to get use to it being there. hang and lock them to the tree, spray them down with scent killer and leave them for a month. Then if i have to move them they already smell of the woods they are in.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I agree doesn't matter much, deer walk between ladder and tree on me. Just don't leave a bunch of scent all over the place. Set the stand and get out. I do set up my stands at home outside for a few days prior to hunting. I'm sure like ETD said there will be differences on this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I do what Ronn does and vacate the woods for a month prior to hunting. Our bow season starts 9/15. I have had a few stands run cold by the time gun season rolls around. (Nov 1) I use ladder stands so relocating them can be a chore. They are also much more visable so I don't want to alarm the deer by moving them close to the season starting. It's really a trade off for me.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Give as much time as possible before hunting from it. A few days may not be enough for the deer to get accustomed with the setup.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I do cut pine branches and attach to the ladder stands for a more natural look and additional break-up and provides some natural cover pine scent. I use electrician's tape to secure the branches to the ladder. It takes a carefully trained eye to locate my stands. I've been known to walk right by them in the early morning darkness.:confused: I shove the pine butts in the dirt to dull the cuts before using.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
HM we use to use old fake Christmas trees to do the same thing:wink:

·
Registered
283 Posts
HM - I think I seen Joel's stand in upper NY. It also had twinkling red and green christmas lights with an angel on top of it and a generator behind it for power.

Merry Christmas Joel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts