Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For over 40 years of hunting, I used several of the standard (old) calibers, the 30/06, .270 Win., .280 Rem., .308 Win., 30/30, and 44 magnum. With these calibers, I killed everything that I was after, including animals from pronghorn size up to caribou and elk. About 4 years ago I decided to try a couple of the new magnums - the 270 and 300 WSM. Well, guess what, they didn't kill anything any faster or "deader" than my old faithfuls. Yes, they DO shoot flatter, but for practical and reasonable shooting distances (for me) they haven't really improved my results. Don't get me wrong, I like the new rounds as they are fun to shoot - I shot a 1" group at 300 yards with the 300 WSM - but I'm starting to believe that they just aren't "necessary".
Oh, and here's a real eye-opener on the 270 WSM: the Barnes Reloading Manual's fastest load for the 130 gr. 270WSM is 3260 f/s using 67.5 grains of MagPro. The same manual lists the fastest regular old .270 Win. with the same 130 gr. bullet at 3211 f/s with 59.5 grains of RL 19 powder. That's only a difference of 49 f/s. If you use the same powder, RL 19, for both, the fastest velocities at the muzzle give the 270 WSM an "edge" of only 6 f/s, or 3211 f/s for the .270 Win. and only 3217 f/s for the .270 WSM and that's using 65 grains or 5.5 grains more powder. That makes me think the 270 WSM is not a very efficient cartridge.
What's your take on this?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with what you are saying onehorse. When you look at the ballistics the new wsm and any other short mag, aren't any better than the standards they were suppose to replace. And as far as less recoil, hahaha, that is really a stretch. I have a 7mm Rem. Mag, I bought my son a 7mm wsm and it kicks alot more than mine. I'm one that believes shot placement is more important than caliber/cartridge choice. Of course there are exceptions, such as extremely long shots(300+ yds) and very large and or dangerous game. One other exception: the 25wssm in an AR 15 platform is very appealing to me. What do think?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I haven't studied any other WSMs except the ones I own, but although I have some doubts about the 270 WSM, I feel that the 300 WSM does exactly what the Winchester folks had in mind when they developed this cartridge and what they advertise. The 300 WSM was designed to duplicate the 300 Win. Magnum in a shorter action rifle. The loading data in the Barnes manual shows that they hit the nail on the head with this one. In fact, for the 180 gr. bullet, this book lists the top velocity of the 300 WSM to be exactly the same (3036 f/s) as the 300 Win. Mag when using RL 19 powder, and the WSM does that with 3 grains LESS powder - that's an efficient cartridge! I can't comment on the recoil comparison as I haave never fired a 300 mag, but my little Remington Model Seven does have a way of saying "Hello," when I pull the trigger. Still, I think that particular combination of rifle and bullet is a great one to be sure - superbly accurate, light weight and recoil that is, at least, manageable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If someone does not reload wsm cant be beat.HIT IT GOOD OR DONT SHOOT. I love my .270 win. its a 30 06 with a turbo. But its hard to tell in a hunting situation if a shooter is 240 yrds or 280 yrds.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 2 cents on short mags vs traditional 30-06 style

As a reloader, I am able to get an easy 10 reloadings out of a 30-06 case prior to the case starting to show problems. I don't know whether a person can get similar life out of a short mag case, I doubt it. I also don't try to squeeze the last fps out of my 30-06s as I tend to load on the toward the lighter side of the loading table. My 165gr bullets are very accurate and at the range I shoot <200 yards the deer don't know the difference. I did read several reports of rifles having some issues getting the larger short mags to always load clean and easy from the magazine to the chamber. It had something to do with the shear diameter of the case and the lips on the magazine. I know that for my use any magnum would be a waste of additional performance and added cost.

Karl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used the standard calibers 270 win 308 win 30-06 and moved to 270wsm,300wsm and 325wsm and I am extremely pleased with these new short mags .I have found them devastating on all big game animals with one shot kills.accuracy ,flat shooting and very reasonable recoil,these are from my three new model 70 winchester extremes and my custom nosler model 48 .which will shoot 1/2 moa all day long.The ammo can be expensive but who the hell is shooting more than a boX of 20 rounds a year.the short mags in these three calibers in my opinon are here to stay.regards marc

·
Registered
852 Posts
Range time is fun time

I agree with the last post. I shoot my rifles. Not as much as I once did but I still manage to fire over 100 rounds per rifle per year. That would be very expensive if I had to buy short or regular length magnums, and even worse if I was shooting one of the Weatherby calibers.

karl

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I probably fire more BP now than rifles. I don't own any of the new short mags but really don't have a need either. I think whatever you use and makes you happy go for it. If I have a need for speed then the 270 WM will do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts