Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on two occassions when leaving the blind at night, I have jumped deer that run off making a sound more like a screeching bird than a deer. not a snort or grunt, is this a bark made by a doe? has anyone heard similar sounds?

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
im clueless.. but then again i got alot less years in the woods than some of these hunters.. Maybe one of them can help you out..

Thanks for joining up by the way.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
maybe it wasn't a deer?:whistling:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Squirrels can make several weird sounds especially when alarmed. Then again their still finding new deer sounds everyday, keeps the call makers in business.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Sorry that was me you scared the bageebees out of me?
no I would probably think you may have jumped a deer which alerted a squirrel??? Just a thought

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
A fox can sound like a woman screaming. A screech owl that is startled.:crazy:
I agree with wmi and Coyote pups make a sound similar to what you're describing also.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
A fox can sound like a woman screaming. A screech owl that is startled.:crazy:
Cougars sound just like a woman screaming too...

But I've also noticed that when a doe is bounding off while snorting or blowing at you she makes a different noise...it is a tad bit more high pitch but I don't think it sounds like a bird...

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Sometimes a deer sounds high pitched when it blows and takes off. But the sound is basically the same with all deer that blow. Where do you hunt at bullet? Pending on your location it could've been wolves, coyotes, bear cubs, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, well you get the picture. Thanks for joining the site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know exactley the sound you are reffering to. It is a hard sound to descibe but I have heard it many times. It is a doe. Anytime I have heard a doe make that sound she has had fawns with her are been in a large heard. I really believe it is a warning to the heard or fawn. It is definately diffrent than the sound of a dow blowing, its more like a barking noise. I can almost assure you, once you here that noise, you won't be seing any deer in that spot for a few hours at least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts