Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
TG, flintlocks had been replaced by percussion caps and mini bullets by the time the Civil War took place. I'm not sure the actual style of rifle in the pictures but maybe an early Pennslyvania Lancaster style???? I think all the pictures show someone who really gets into the traditional hunting thing and very productive too. Shooting flintlocks is a load of fun. Congrats Gamestalker!!!

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
gamestalker, I too started muzzleloading in the 70's. I got my first rifle from Midway, a flint Lyman Hawken in 54 cal. After many rifles/years later I built a 54 fullstock Hawken with some nice maple. After some shoulder and then neck surgery the heavy hawken sits in the vault and I hunt with a TC PA flint hunter in 50 cal, its a lot lighter. Now its getting hard to see both sights clear and I need to set one up with a rear peep. Thinking of building one last gun, maybe a flint 1/2 stock hunter Leman style??? Its hard to convince people how much fun hunting the old way is but maybe we should keep it a secret anyway!!!! I leave Jan 5th for PA to meet up with three others for a 4.5 day hunt. I hope the deer cooperate. Good hunting to you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.