Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lots of states have bow open. anyone hunting? i've been out every evening but this one and out sat and sun morning and haven't seen a deer. the nice 8 that i was getting pics of is gone elsewhere. made a move from the beech mix to the oak stands. lots of sign in there. got cameras up so we'll see. got a line on that 5, i got a pic in the trail cam thread, but thats no much of a help to me. oh well i'll find them again. good luck all

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
my bow season doesnt start till oct 17th,unless the temp falls i wont see many deer running around during the day as its getting hot again:yucky:,primetime is predictedto be the last week of oct to the first 2 weeks of nov,hopefully i can hunt the whole time frame this year:pickle:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bow season has opened here in NC but I have never shot one and probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 30 yards. I plan on getting one next year during the off season and practicing up.

They almost made crossbow hunting legal this year(again) but as of now you still have to have a disability to hunt with one. If they ever make crossbows fair game, that is one more thing on my to do list. I am still waiting for rifle season myself. Not much longer though.

I have however seen plenty of deer stalkin around the fields as of late. Nothin bigger than an 8 pointer though. I have never intentionally shot a buck before(once last year I shot one when it was gettin dark from 290 yds-my longest shot to date- and I thought he was a doe). I hunt to fill up the freezer with burger and sausage.

Maybe this year I will take my first wall hanger! We will just have to see. I am still trying to get the hang of this whole hunting thing and I have tons more to learn.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Hang in there ronn, your trail cams showed they're in there and you got the skillz to get em out so
I expect we'll be seeing your 2009 bow harvest pics soon.
Good Luck dude :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
ronn, what kind of weather you got? Its warm and extreemly humid like a wet blanket here. I've seen some nice deer in the State Park close to my home, racks seem a bit bigger than past years. I'm hearing some rumors that the park rangers are going to take out the 8 pt piebald due to genetic defect. I say let nature run its course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
highs in the upper 60's lows in the mid 30's, hm.

i think there is a shift going on. just reset the stand i moved about 60 yards into a spit of thicker stuff running right through the oak stand that connects a rabbit hole type thick clear cut to a stand of hemlock oak mix that's fairly thick, well you can't see very far but you can slip through it pretty easy, and found a nice rub line, this years. tracks were still there where he worked over the trees. so after setting the stand i left cause i'm thinking i left enough scent and cause enough of a ruckus. sat a different stand that the wind was perfect and at 5:30 pm it changed 180 degrees and went totally wrong. so i bailed. they are there, like bruce said, its just work to get in the right spot before they change patterns again or get booted around by other hunters.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Ronn,
I am in the same boat. Seems they just packed up & left moved a couple of my stands also & hope for the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here in Kansas season opened on the 21st but I have been too busy to make it out in the field. I am taking my girls out when they get home from school and heading to last years trails. I havent even been able to scout this year and the gear I wanted to get this year has to wait till next year!

The weather here has been much cooler than past years, past few weeks have been dippin into the 40's and 50's at night. I cant wait for cooler days to roll in...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts