Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pickle: My lil Brother Just hit 16 today and well hes never Went hunting.
Hes more of a Fishing guy. :yawn: Well this year he is going to come out and hunt.
He sent me 275$ in the mail to get him a Gun. :biggrin: Now what shoud i get hime lol I though Maybe a single shoot somthing idk ill be looking around.
Any Sugestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, a single shot teaches patience and marksmanship. If he hasn't had much experince with rifles. I would suggest possibly a .270 or 30.06. Whatever you decide to purchase I would be practice as much as possible to be comfortable and accurate with it.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
thats great but a gun is such a personal choice he should really try them out.did he take a hunter safety class yet?It's mandatory here in NY.Mossberg sells a 12 with 2 barrels for that amount

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mossburg has a 30-06 with a bore sighted scope that is 299.00 at acadamy sports here. Im sure they are around other places too.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem getting a used scoped/marlin for that amount and they can be found in several calibers to fit just about anyone's needs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
30-06 may be too much gun for starters. I really like .270 starting at 100gr bullets may work well. I think 7MM-08 is the best and most versatile starter gun. Finding one at that price may be a challenge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha thanks guys im looking a 3006 in the pawn shop looks like in great shape wooden stock Nice scope i think i might get it =)

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
if it fits you and in your price range and you shoot a 30-06 without the dreaded flinch then go for it. The best deer caliber debate will continue just as the 30-06 has lasted as a great deer stopper!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I can't help but smile when i read posts regarding the lack of recoil from the 30-06 and to some degree the 270. I can remember returning from the range many times with some added color in the shoulder area. The worst for me is shooting the 270 weatherby mag it just plain kicks hard. I've had 444 Mar and 375 win that didn't compare to the 270 wm's kick. What's your hard kicker?

·
Registered
283 Posts
06 Ruger M77 ultralight @ 6.5 lbs. Shooting 180 gr core lokts through this bad Larry is just down right painful. I now shoot the 125-150gr bullets now. I regret buying an 06 this light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
on a $275 dollar budget, one would be wise to check out the used rack!

you may also want to see if he would settle for a shotgun. a quality shotgun(such as the remington 870) is cheaper than a rifle, and more versatile. you could use it for birds to bears(black).

however if you must have a rifle, on that budget, you are spot on with the single shot aproach! get a quality gun that will last and doesnt make you want to puke when you look at it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
if your buying used your cartridge choices will probably be the more common ones. otherwise i would recommend a .260. a .243 is also a great cartridge but not in the hands of a beginer. and 25-06, or 6mm remington are also good if you can find it. for a youth i would go any bigger than a .270.

a 30-30 is also a good starter gun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
the light recoil of the .243 makes it easy to shoot, but its lighter bullet will be less than satsfactory on a hit that fails to reach the vitals. however a gutshot deer even by a .375 h+h will not result in a clean kill either.

but if the youth is sensitive to recoil, its going to be harder to hit the vitals in the first place. buying a bigger gun to compensate for a bullet sent off course because of a flinch, can be like fighting fire with fire.

more accurate, less power(243,30-30,260,ect..)

or....

more power, less accurate(270,30-06,308,ect...)

pick your poision!:mellow:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts