Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only bird hunted for the most part, duck, geese, dove, etc. I just started big game hunting for Deer and have gone numerous times this season. I am seeing lots of deer but they are always just out of range of either Bow or Muzzleloader.

I am a pretty heavy smoker as well. Me smoking in treestand/ground blind about once a hour keeping deer from coming close???

I have heard they avoid smoke at all costs but I have also heard cigarette smoke doesn't bother deer at all.

Please advise if I am being stupid?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
believe it or not indians started big brush fires to get the deer to investigate,they said the deer were curious and then they harvested them
All right Spiker I have to call BS. The indians did used to use fire to kill deer but it was to get them to run away in a direction where they would shoot them. :w00t:

OKCH if you quit smoking in the stand you will see and kill more deer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OKC. My dad smokes and he buys the nicotene gum and chews it while he hunts and takes cinnamon sticks to put in his mouth. Hes had pretty good success doin that matter of fact i cant remember a year he hasnt harvested a dandy buck doing it so u might try it. Good luck and have a safe season.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i am a smoker also, and know many other hunters who smoke. one of wich smokes in his stand, and clames he has never shot a deer without haveing a cigerete in him mouth at the time. me personaly do not smoke in my stand, or in my hunting gear. ill have a butt just before leaving my house and wont smoke another one till i get home from the hunt. when hunting i have a Cammle Snus in my lip. its like dip, but you dont have to spit like you do with dip. and i had a doe so close to my stand a week ago that i could have spit on her, and she had no clue i was sitting 15 feet above her head. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
this comes up about once a year I too am a smoker and I try to hold out for as long as I can usually every 2-3 hours I have no issues seeing deer I think deer have different personality's like humans some it will bother or some it won't. you could say only the dumb ones will come in but hey those are the ones I look for?
your chances are better if you don't but first hand I have shot a few wile smoking or just after I put one out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.