Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my stepson and nephew to the range this morning to show them how to load and shoot an inline. My nephew bought a factory new CVA Buckhorn and needed some quickstart instructions. Same with my stepson who was using my Knight Wolverine. They're both in their mid-twenties and are excited as heck about going on a muzzleloading hunt for Axis deer on the island of Lanai in Hawaii.

The loads I had them shoot was the .50cal 240gr T/C CheapShots on top of two 50gr. Pyrodex pellets set off by #209 primers. I wasn't too interested in accuracy. I was more concerned about gun safety, gun handling and loading. I had them swab the bore every 5th shot or whenever it got hard to load the projectiles. They did very well I'm proud to say. After about 10 shots they became competent enough to load and shoot without close supervision.

My question. Should I use the T/C CheapShots for hunting since they (my son and nephew) are comfortable shooting that load or should I use a similar load more tailored for hunting? I'm thinking of the 260gr. T/C ShockWave with the ballistic tip. We have six more weeks before the hunt. That should give us enough time to practice.

BTW, they shot two whole boxes of Pyrodex pellets this morning. Had a blast!

ShortRanger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip. We're heading out to the range tomorrow and we'll try the wet patch/dry patch combination. That ought to slow down them boys some and will probably help them be more deliberate in their aiming and trigger control instead of just blasting away as if there's no tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.