Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am beginning to start a plan for a food plot in Indiana. I have a less than a half of an acre that i recently took a tiller to. " my food plot field" Question is, I have been searching for some annuals or perrinials. to put in that field. The dirt has a PH of 6.5 and is on a slight northern slop, It has exellant drainage. it gets sun about 5-6 hours a day. It is sourounded by tulip poplar sassaphras SAPLINGS.
I found out on this site from someone that i should plant clover and chicory on the OLD logging trails leading to the small field. Well should i put the same in the food plot???? or would anybody suggest somithing different considering the PH, drainage and 5-6 hours of daylight.
If any body reads this and has any info. I would really consider it. Because I dont know hardly anything about food plots.

I have attached a google earth view and description of property.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On the image the square line represents my property. The circle in the middle is 100 year old logging trails. And where is says "# 1 food plot in this area is close to where i want to put a plot. Th big field to the south is a hayfield for the cows.
I manage alot of that property.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ronn Ty vm You know your stuff and help people and i appreciate that.
I am in a classified forrest program and i have permision to cut out a half acre for a food plot. Close to maynard hill, "west" is my oak stand, And in the middle is the poplar stand and to the east is the sasaphras stand. I have alot to think about. And i will take in all the info i can. so thanks. I have been cutting and pasting alot of info to a word file, Your Name comes up alot. I am finding alot of info.
It seems i am getting over my head but with your advice and others I think within a couple of tries and a couple of years i will have it down. I HAD No idea that a food plot sometimes needs to be a certain shape. lol i thought they were all square!~!.. I like the figure 8 idea. So much to think about now!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep I knew there was some money to this but not that much. I really do thank you guys for your help. this site and the people in it are good people,
I will keep the chemicals in mind since it is in a classified forrest!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.