Deer Hunting Forums banner

Shooting through tape on the end of the barrel

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  guppy11 
#1 ·
I always tape the end of the barrel of my hunting rifles with electrical tape. Has anyone actually tried it at the range to check to see if it affects the placement of the very important first round out the barrel?

Karl

#6 ·
Why to cover your rifle muzzle..

I was taught long ago to watch the muzzle and keep it free of nasties. I have also leaned a rifle against a tree when nature calls, and had some snow fall onto the muzzle. I also know that Marine snipers always tape theirs so they don't need to worry about when they crawl with them. I figure if snipers do it sounds like a good idea. In my opinion they are the best practical rifle shooters in the world.

Karl

#7 ·
I was taught long ago to watch the muzzle and keep it free of nasties. I have also leaned a rifle against a tree when nature calls, and had some snow fall onto the muzzle. I also know that Marine snipers always tape theirs so they don't need to worry about when they crawl with them. I figure if snipers do it sounds like a good idea. In my opinion they are the best practical rifle shooters in the world.

Karl

:goodposting::goodposting:

#8 ·
I understand why the military does it but when hunting I am always aware of where my muzzle is pointing if I need to set it down muzzle is on or in my backpack I try to NEVER lay my firearms on the ground & I make sure at least the barrel is cleaned after each hunt

#12 ·
I have tried the tape and finger condoms and they do not effect accuracy at all. I prefer the finger condoms as they don't leave any residue.The reason that I use them is when I'm hunting in a downpour or going through some low softwoods after a snowstorm.That way I don't have to wipe the barrel,( inside) with smelly gun oil during hunting season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.