Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall iam from manitoba and it s -30 here just wondering will that change the way my muzzleloader shoots i got a t/c triumph and in the summer it would put 12 shots in a 4 inch group but since the weather is cold it wil make the powder burn slower so will that change the acuracy ??

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
oil might freeze up

·
Registered
7 Posts
should be good to go

mine didn`t go off today northern mn -20 left in garage overnight and nothing this morning on a doe primer only slip a little powder under the primer and hoping for the best lyman .54 deerstalker 100 grain 777 430grain maxi ball ,as long as your goes off the aim piont if dialed should be same just follow thru while she fire`s stay on point .

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
im confused by the last post,did it fire or you didnt shoot or it missfired?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did not fire

only the percussion cap went off ,got home and put a trace of powder down the breach hole and put a new cap on and it fired ,i think a trace of the powder must have leak out by the way it sat over night verticle ,learn my lesson never leave a traditional verticle over night with the cap off . northern mn -20

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I've posted this before, I always discharge a muzzleloader at the end of every night run a brush and dry patch through and its ready for the next day. With flintlocks Im not wasting much with a patched round ball, but some of the modern bullets can get expensive however, when the darn thing doesn't go off what's the cost? Inline rifles need the breach hole checked as it is very small at least on my TC trimuph. I like a cleaned rifle ready to ge each morning. Just my thoughts guys.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
hey yall iam from manitoba and it s -30 here just wondering will that change the way my muzzleloader shoots i got a t/c triumph and in the summer it would put 12 shots in a 4 inch group but since the weather is cold it wil make the powder burn slower so will that change the acuracy ??
I'm no expert but from what I've learned about the subject is this, the burn rate may be a little slower but not noticeable to the shooter therefore climate doesn't create much of a difference in the accuracy of a black powder rifle but the colder cimates may cause the shooter to be tighter and much less relaxed with the shot which can create a difference in accuracy.
I hope this helps.

R

·
0 Posts
i think bruce is correct. although i wonder how much the metal barrel shrinks in those temps.

i think the bigger issue with cold is the temp change and condensation or sweating of the metal barrel. thats why the leave it in the cold as opposed to warming it, then cold, then warm.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
only the percussion cap went off ,got home and put a trace of powder down the breach hole and put a new cap on and it fired ,i think a trace of the powder must have leak out by the way it sat over night verticle ,learn my lesson never leave a traditional verticle over night with the cap off . northern mn -20
thanks for the clarification

1 - 9 of 9 Posts