Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new hunter this season and use a Savage 110 30-06 rifle. I am interested in doing some clay shooting, possibly some bird hunting and was in hopes of some advice on a good, reasonably priced shootgun? Can anyone give me some input and feedback on what they use, why, etc?

G

·
I have 3 no 4 different shot guns. a mossberg 500 inexpensive pump. shot several turkeys with it. A Remington 870 mag pump that I now use for turkey and upland birds, a 20 gage 870 mag youth, and a Browning citori over and under for the upland birds. Why i like the 870 mag, it is not an over bore like the mossberg 385 or whatever it is. You can not shoot a slug down an over bore. so the Remington 870 mag is good for everything, all the birds and deer and bear if you must use a shot gun. for the $$ its a good choice. in my opinion

·
Registered
790 Posts
Take a look at Stoger as well. They have a package that comes with all of your diff. chokes and is camo so it would be great for turkeys too. Whole package can be bought at Dick's Sporting Goods for about 400.00 on sale if you watch for it. It is an auto so that follow up shot is a little easier. It is made by Benelli so you can't go wrong there.:thumbup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I Have The Mossberg 835 Util Mag Takes 23/4 To 31/2 Mags.probobly Shot It A 1000 Times Never Failed, Or Jammed.this One I Can Change The Choke To Mod-exta Full.very Reliable Gun

·
Registered
182 Posts
i also have a mossberg 500 12 ga. I had the remington 870 ultra mag combo that shot 3.5s but i had a lot of problems with it, the shell always got stuck in the chamber and wouldnt eject. tried different shells, still did it. So i sent it in, they said they fixed it and it still did it so i took it back and got the moss. and i love it. Maybe i just got a bad remington i dont know but i really like the mossberg 500. Came with a slug and smotth bore barrel for about 4-500. I use that for everything.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i got a mossberg 500 also i hear those bennelli's are real fine shotguns.i would go to a good gun store that has lots of guns not walmart ,that has 5-6.and shoulder them all.guns are like people no two are the same.ya might want a lighter gun ,your going to be carrying and swinging it alll day.ya might want a shorter /longer barrel lots of variables out there.:biggrin:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am planning a trip down to my local shop. I couldn't agree with you more about looking and shouldering at the shop however those guys are making a living as well and knowing a little prior to going is always useful. I was turned onto the Teka 30-06 through a store and would like to pick one up one day in the future but learned of the Savage 110 through forums and ended up saving a fair amt of money and killing my first deer with it without any trouble. Thanks for the feedback keep them coming. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
mrsracing, If you're looking for something affordable of good quality check out this post on a Shotgun (<-click)
we just got this shotgun for my girlfriends son. It's a 12 Guage pump and
it's available in 20 guage also BUT best of all it's under 200 Dollars. How can ya beat that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shotgun hunting in Ohio this year the first time in twenty years. I used 20 guage single, i took anice 10 point . used right just as deadly as rifle. Plan to go back this comming season.

·
Registered
92 Posts
id get a remington 870 express.......... this gun is one of the most popular pump shotguns out ther and its buit as tough as nails.. depending on the stock you get you can get it fairly cheap more than bruce's 200 dollar gun but possibly more reliable. check it out at wwwremingtonarms.com

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I also have the Remington 870 Express Super Mag in Full Camo, New England Firearms and Remington share the same exact design so somewhere along the Way I'm certain Harrington and Richardson must have paid a fee to share the Remington 870 patent.

The only differences I see between the 2 shotguns is the New England Firearms has a longer Magazine Tube and it also utilizes the winchoke, Mossberg chokes while the Remington uses strictly Remington chokes.. other then that the only other difference is U.S. Dollars...

·
Registered
100 Posts
if your wanting to clays and birds I would suggest you find a good used 1100 in 20g.
around here you can find one for around 500$.
I like the older guns with a wood stock and nice finish.
Mine has amost no recoil and if your lucky you can find it in a lite weight 20.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I like Remingtons for the money. I just picked up a new 12 Ga express with the laminated wood, came with a rifled barrel and a chocked barrel, will shoot 3" mags for 350.00. Like I posted earlier I still have my 16 ga 870 that I got for Christmas in 1966.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm looking for a 12 ga and although I understand that realiability of the pump shotguns I think I'm leaning towards a semi-auto. The Remington seems to be the definent choice for a pump but I'm unsure with an auto. Any suggestions here? I've shouldered the 870 pump and would go this route if I was sold on pump.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
a pump is more reliable cuz there are less parts and you can use them for waterfowling and get them dirty.autos have to be kept CLEAN the extra parts can cause problems.however the semi auto has less kick. my 2 cents

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm looking for a 12 ga and although I understand that realiability of the pump shotguns I think I'm leaning towards a semi-auto. The Remington seems to be the definent choice for a pump but I'm unsure with an auto. Any suggestions here? I've shouldered the 870 pump and would go this route if I was sold on pump.

mrsracing, here's a link to seven of today's most popular auto shotgun makers. <-Click

That Article should give you some insight on the 7 most popular Semi-Automatic shotguns.
Now, After looking into it myself I would personally go with the Winchester Super X2.
but whichever you decide on Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like the Super X2 as well. Nice shotgun! I have a Super X and the X2 is even faster and better. Cannot go wrong there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts