Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed or messed a shot on a great buck this past Saturday. I will not be able to hunt the area again till Dec 12. I really would like to get another shot on this buck. The first rut will be over by then though it is only just starting right now. He seems to be running a pattern the past two weekends though I have not seen him before. Will this deer adopt the same pattern during the second rut? I am sure he did not see me when I misfired on him. see (mistakes that haunt you) for details
advice please...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
T-minus 1 week.

I took a half day off next Friday to set up my tree stand, video camera mount and lay down some hot drag lines. I plan to really put the Buck bomb doe estrus and Fuse to the test. whatever happens, I am hoping to get it on video. it has been 3 weeks now since missing that nice buck, hopefully with no hunting pressure in the woods he will be back in the area. I am planning to visit after work each night and dress up the scrapes and run some drag lines to the scrapes. It has gotten really cold really fast here in northern Illinois. we are looking at low to mid 30s for a high this weekend where 3 weeks ago we were getting up toward 60 in mid day. We just got a dusting of about an inch last night.
more to come........

G

·
i think what you got planed is a good move. the other choice, as i seen it, with the cold settling in, is the food. the does will be in it hard as well as the bucks but they will be feeding and looking for those unbred does. we are getting the weather change late tomorrow. good luck would like to see a pic of one of those il monsters.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i would be careful going to the stand everynight the deer may pattern you coming and going:wink:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joel the signman,
I wont exactly be visiting the stand each night, just the active scrapes in the general area to liven them up. I would suspect the bucks will be checking them for unbred does.

Ronn,
Not much I can do about food unless you are talking about using food scented attractants. exp, acorn rage bomb

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured that.
nope, nothing like that were I am, or at least not close enough to exploit.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a little after 9:30am, about 9 degrees and im sitting 20 ' off the ground on a bright sunny day , and not seeing any deer. not as much sign as 4 weeks ago either. I think they are hunkering down in the thich stuff crops have been harvested too so their pattewerns changed right after that.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
that kind of cold they be holed up in shelter belts,pine thickets,laurel,hemlock,the thicker the better,try finding some acorns

G

·
about 2 below with the wind this morning. sat for a 3 hrs. the deer were feeding around 4am under my stand, according to the camera.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I stayed in the stand till 2:30, had 3 does come in to about 25 yds but never entered a shooting lane.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
too bad but can i ask why did ya leave at the best time 2 till dark?Im not stirring the pot just curious:confused:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These woods do not produce for me at night. In 5 years hunting there I have seen only 1 deer after 2:00. and in most cases (hunters who have hunted there even longer than me will concure) that if you are hunting after 10:00am you are wasting your time.

As a matter of fact the deer I seen today, see blind calling.
were moving at 10:30am. nothing was seen after that time.

G

·
it doesn't mater to me morning, evening, all day here. got to be in the woods to get one. one thing i got out of il when i was out there the deer moved when they were suppose to using the moon thing. they'd move at 1pm 8am 3pm whenever. this year in pa it was the same thing. if i saw deer in the field while going to the store or back to camp i need to be in a tree. if the fields were empty no point in sitting cause the deer weren't moving. when I saw the deer standing in the field around 1:30 i rushed back to camp got changed and was sitting in a tree by 2pm at 2:22 i shot a deer.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
im with ronn but it sounds like you know your area well so im not gonna second guess ya,better luck nest year

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In Illinois the season goes through mid January, still got one more weekend in the conservation district and maybe a few more if I can find some land somewhere that the landowner has become bored with having deer on it.

G

·
when i was in il i talked to a local while getting gas about gaining access to private land. seems its either being leased by the outfitters or the landowner and his family hunt it. i only talk to one guy but i'm sure with enough leg work and lots of door knocking a person could find land to hunt. seemed like good down home folks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts