Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I started hunting a new area last season... A couple hundred acres of unfarmed CRP Grass fields in Kansas. A ton of deer activity obvious signs everywhere. You can hardly step with out being on a trail, However no kill. I had set up a couple ladder type stands and saw several deer After they saw me... The chest high grass gave them the advantage. I dropped a few hundred pounds of feed even though every field around the property is planted with wheat, hoping to slow down the deer on the property, not thinking i would draw any others in with food. So this year I am trying a new approach I have built my First Box Blind trying to not get busted. I am Wandering if i should cut shooting lanes through the CRP Grass or if that will disturb the deer on the property. I was thinking about 30 yds wide and 200 yds long in front of the stand and about half that on each side window. ok enough rambling I will post pics of the Blind I built.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sounds like an awful nice area you've got there. I like your idea of "shooting Lanes", but in my opinion 30 yards wide is a bit too much of an opening. I'd look at around 30' (10 yards, perhaps). On a somewhat smaller scale we did a similar thing on some property here in Tn and found it gave us two advantages. First was the openings for easier sighting/shooting and second was the fact that by cutting the high grasses out, new green growth came up and the deer loved it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts