Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and I like what I see so far and what I have read as well, a lot of info on here.

I would like to know what everyone is using to kill human odor while hunting... I have used most all the brands out there and just bought another one that is new, and it seems to be better than the others I have used. I was just wondering what the pro's here use and if they have found one to be better than the other, oh yea the one I am using right now is BioExtreme and it works really well.:coffee:

R

·
0 Posts
as far as sprays, deer and deer hunting had an article on this. the end game was scent-a-way original ( i believe it was) killed bacteria best then primos sliver spray. one of the worst was dead down wind e3. I don't know how to find the article but i'm sure someone can. pretty good read for what its worth.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Wildlife Research markets Scent Killer 99%, the supercharged formula,, It's the only one I use...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have used both products and have had deer come right in. good habits of scent control is the best advice, wind ,shower,spray etc...

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Im a scent killer, shower, wash my clothes in it etc. type of hunter. Its worked for me.

You got to remember wind direction is the most important scent eliminator though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Deer Bob from Sanger hooked me up on this combo.

1. Sent-away the night before then bag "ALL" the clothes.
2. Buck Jam on the boots during the morning walk up then around several trees within sight of the stand.

I set up in a camo camp chair between two very small mesquite trees (bushes) covered in a Bass-Pro Leaf suit and head gear with a 10 year old, very used, PSE Fireflight.

Result:
1st Bow Hunt, ...1st Arrow Shot / 2004

12 yard shot.
20 yard run.
2.5 lbs. of beautiful young buck backstrap.
10 lbs. Texas Chili.
4lbs. Cajun Jerky.
And tons of stew meat out the wazzoo!

Repeat performance,
Same combo, 6 weeks later, ...
Same chair, same suit, nestled in dead wood this time maybe a 15 yarder.
2nd Bow Hunt, ...2nd Arrow Shot, ...you guessed it, ...Doe down.

Bob was trying really hard to be happy for me.
Still is.

Thank-you Bob!

:wink:

·
Registered
72 Posts
As stated above, being clean and upwind is key IMO. You can be covered from head to toe with scent-loc clothes, sprays etc and still get busted if they get downwind of you. Your breath is a giveaway Ive been told, not sure about that but I like to have a mint of some type to dissolve to help coat my throat and keep me from having to clear it. I f you shower in unscented soap before going out, and have clean unscented clothes and boots it will go a long way in keeping your scent down and the sprays help as well. Sweat, by the way is sterile and oderless on clean skin. Its when you havent showered that the sweat once in contact with the bacteria on your skin smells bad. Down here during bow season youll be completely soaked with sweat, but if you showered before, your definetly ahead of the game.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Scent Killer Man

I use the Scent-A-Way green bodywash/shampoo ($5-$7 at walmart), then I use the Scent-A-Way Deoderant ($5 and might I add I sweat A LOT and this deodorant is AWESOME to keep body odor and sweat from forming at all) . I wash all my field clothes from underwear to hat in the Scent Killer laundry detergent ($10). Finally, before I head into the field I spray Scent Killer on my boots and on my outer layers.

The above practice has helped me get close to deer for YEARS. Before I used the products I was always worried about the wind but even just two weeks ago I had 13 deer down-wind of me that didn't look my direction twice. After they fed across the field they got down-wind of my hunting buddy....he doesn't believe in scent killing products...and they spooked on his scent IMMEDIATELY.

Even though the Hunter's Specialties products have always exceeded my expectations, I saw the Primo's Silver XP scent elimination system. I have liked most of the products that Primo's puts out, but after using this product, I have not bought a single item that is from them. I followed all of the steps mentioned with Scent Killer/Scent-A-Way and every time I opened a container of the Silver XP (detergent, spray, and body wash) I noticed kind of a chemical smell. I thought maybe after the garments dried the smell would go away. It did seem to lessen as far as I could tell, but the first deer that came within 50 yards of me spooked on my scent. Deer busted me all day. I continued to use the product for 2 more days with similar results. On the fourth day of my hunt I tossed the Silver XP and went back to my Scent Killer/Scent-A-Way system and never had a deer spook on me for the next 3 days regardless of the wind.

Maybe I got a bad batch, but I will not allow any of my hunting buddies to try it. The product was absolutely horrible. Scent-A-Way and Scent Killer have a simplistic design that isn't very eye catching, but let me tell you, they work. Silver XP looks edgy and interesting...but it S U C K S!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first year hunting for 13 years and never bow hunting before always rifle hunting at 100 yard or better shots. I do the same thing that Scent Killer Man does and put my tree stand climber atleast 20 feet up in the air (friend told me that being atleast that high helps alot with deer smelling you) and this weekend I had a small 4 pointer walk to about 20 yards and have no clue I was there even though I was downwind to him. He was following a patch up the hill or probably would have come closer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot of great replies, as far as spending alot on the odor elimination I spend about 15 bucks on BioExtreme. It does what all the others do from the same bottle. Wash my clothes, shower with it, wash my hair and body, spray down my clothes and use it for touch up in the field. I have yet to get busted this year, even on the down wind side. :goodposting:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do pretty close to "scent-killer-man" also. A neat trick I heard of about 10 years ago was to woods smoke your self on the way to the stand by building a small fire and standing down wind of it or a camp fire. I think it helps hide the spots that I missed, especially after driving out to hunt some stand in the public lands. Deer are used to smelling the smoke whiffing around here in rural Arkansas where lots of prople heat with wood and they could care less if they smell wood smoke. Anyway, they can "smell your breath" so stay up in a stand and down wind if at all possible, always. Good luck!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am sold on silver XP, which it appears since I started using it 2 years ago has been bought by Primos. I am experimenting with the entire line this year and so far I like what I have seen, or what the deer have not been able to smell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tell you what I usualy do not give away my secrets but here goes. First off you wash your clothes in fresh earth cented soap and UV killer killer soap. air dry the clothes place them in a trash bag with HS fresh earth scent wafers I use 6 for 1 suite of clothing . And use rubber bottom boots.Always use hunters deodorant.Spray your feet with no scent antiperspent and deodorant spray this keeps your feet from sweating so spray your toes real good which keeps the smell down and if your feet do not sweat they do not get cold.WERE wool socks and buy your self some wool outer were .Wool breathes and is very warm and no sweat means no smell.Brush your teeth with baking soda it will clean your teeth and your breath will have no smell. Rub baking soda in your hair it cuts down on the smell. Always carry scent elimanator spray with you because you never know when you may have to use the bathroom and 1 pile of do do can ruine 2 acers of hunting ground and you may also tinkle on your self.This is the way I do it and I have had many deer so close I could have touched them.Do not forget to cover your face and hands with camo that is the first thing deer look for .And what ever you do do not make eye contact whith any deer if they see your eyes they will be gone.I hope this helps I have been hunting 30 yrs for deer and I put my heart and soul into it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts