Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that if you spray your rubber boots with scent elimination products they will actually "smell"??? What about other boots.....ones with rubber soles?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Haven't heard that, but I still wear leather boots that I spray. Rubber boots just don't fit me well enough to hunt in without foot problems. I do have heavy pacs that are rubber but these are for hunting in -0* when all I do is sit and freeze.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i use all 3 types of boots.the key is to never wear em anywhere but the woods..i change when i get to my spot,dont care how cold or who sees me.I will also clean the bottoms of my boots every now and then with a scrub brush and no scent soap.i use HS specielities foot powder and spray dowm with scent killer.Im a little fussy when it comes to scent control:biggrin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wear Muck rubber boots and I spray them with HS scent killer and I have never had a problem with being detected from the trails I come in on.

Tips for any boots that I use:

1. Spray with scent killer before heading to your stand or blind

2. Keep my boots sealed in a huge ziploc plastic bag when I'm not in the woods ( along with all my other clothes)

3. Along with scent killer, or sometimes in place of it, I use fox urine. This has always helped make the deer seem more comfortable when they come across it. Especially after being spooked a bit.

4. If you hunt in an area with other people, then try to not step on any cigarrette butts, or food wrappers of any kind.

Hope these help!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use whatever keeps my feet warm weather they are rubber,leather etc...but i don't have to walk to my stand.i drive my 4 wheeler right up to the door lol lazy i guess.but i have to drive just about 2mi.from camp to my stand.really i could just were sneakers lol sence i have an insulated,carpeted,heated stand.custom made to stay all day comfortable.but i really do where all the camo clothes along with the big boots etc...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Whitetailfever, you got a big screen tv in there too? My buddies in the UP of Mich use the shacks to hunt out of. Lazyboy chairs, propane heaters, quiet string pulled windows, ect ect. I almost mistook them for hunters. just kidding!!!! They take their shack building very seriously up there. I move my ladder stand too many times to stick to one place. I like that 36* and rain running down my neck.:crybaby:

·
Registered
517 Posts
whitetailfever, you got a big screen tv in there too? My buddies in the up of mich use the shacks to hunt out of. Lazyboy chairs, propane heaters, quiet string pulled windows, ect ect. I almost mistook them for hunters. Just kidding!!!! They take their shack building very seriously up there. I move my ladder stand too many times to stick to one place. I like that 36* and rain running down my neck.:crybaby:
thats funny lol!! I really never hunted out of shacks but i had a very close call with a treestand that made me really think.i have had just as much luck out of my shack as i did in a tree.i do have a very comfy chair though!and also a small cupboard that keeps the roadents out so i have plenty of snacks and drinks.the heater i have is a portable mr heater(big buddy)and it is hooked up to a 100lb tank so the heat is endless.at least it will last a really long time.that really warms up my 4x6 shack.very comfortable.all day hunting is a must where i hunt lol.but makes for really long days if i don't see much.go in in the dark and come out in the dark.i like it cold when i go it seems to get the deer moving.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i hunt in rubber knee boots that i spray with sent kill no problem ,,,as the water comes up i go to hip boots

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I use the knee high rubber boots when I don't have to walk to far, other than that I use hunting boots like Joel said that only go in the woods. With the rubber boots I have deer come down the trail I walked in on and never spook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts