Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
The 99 series rifles are no longer made by Savage. In it's day, it was considered a great lever action of unique design. Today, it is considered a classic just like the Winchester 94, and is still a damn fine hunting rifle, especially in the .308 caliber which can hold it's own against many of the modern calibers. Since this gun is no longer being made, it's hard to determine the value. That particular rifle probably didn't cost $600 when new, but if it has had the little use that you described, it may well be worth that price. I had a 99 in .308 about 45 years ago. It was the original design with a rotary magazine (the model C has a clip), and I would jump at the chance to buy another one.

G

·
old savage and the new savage are nice rifles the ones in between are ehhhhh. the old 99 is a great rifle but I saw one around 1980 that was a newer one and it didn't hold a candle to the old 99.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I own a 99c in 308. It use to be my grandpas rifle. It was given to him by is kids. That is the ONLY reason i still own it. It is a piece of crap as far as accuracy is concerned. I've tried factory and every combo of handloads and it throws bullets all over the place. 4 inches at 100 yards is the best group I could get but couldn't get that consistently. My dad said my grandpa hated the rifle because he couldn't ever hit anything with it. A note though, I love savage bolt actions.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I have a early 1950's 99 thats a great rifle in 300 sav. I can shoot 1" groups at 100 yds all day long with it. If the rifle is from the 40-50's and is in really good condition 600 is not a bad price.

·
Registered
852 Posts
To Buy or Not...

I am personally nuts over bad triggers. An inexpensive bolt action will probibly have a much better trigger than this or any lever action rifle. For a price of 600.00 you could get an entry level bolt action and a 200.00 scope from a good company and be set for life. If you choose to upgrade later it would be for something prettier, but possibly not a better shooter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
According to new Blue Book of Gun Values A 99C IN 308 IN 100% condition is 500.00.In 95% it goes to 400.00.It shows the 99C was made in 1965 and again from 1995 thru 1997.So 600.00 is way to steep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts