Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I just need a little advice. I've been looking around for a decent small game rifle. I've seriously been online every chance I get researching and learning about different rifles, calibers, and brands.

I've come across what looks to be a good deal, but that's where you, my friends, come in. Online, I found the Savage Model 93 - .22 Mag. It's black synthetic, which I am a fan of. Black heavy barrel. Clip-fed bolt action. It comes equipped with a Bushnell scope on it, 3X9. I don't know which model of Bushnell, nor the objective size. But I do know that the rifle and scope are both brand new. It doesn't look like their newest of models, as it doesn't appear to have the Accu-Trigger. Brand new, with scope, their selling it for $220. With shipping and transfer fees, I'm probably looking at closer to $275.

Would you guys consider this to be a good deal? I'm really looking for some input here, and I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
As an owner of 2 savage 116s the reason you buy a savage is because of how they shoot.In order to take advantage of their inherent accurracy you need a good trigger.I would not by a savage without the accutrigger.The factory trigger is going to be heavy and full of creep.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just got rid of my Savage Mark II .22lr rifle. It was accurate like any other Savage, but I could never get it to feed reliably. The magazines that Savage uses for their rimfire rifles are junk. Feeding problems seem to be a common thing with these rifles, so its something to keep in mind. I'd go with a Marlin or a CZ before another Savage rimfire. PS - I had the pre-accu trigger model and after polishing the bolt it was a short, light 3lb pull. Very nice trigger.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
looking at the book and there are many variations of the 93 model I think you are just about book value unless the scope is above average value. I wouldn't consider the price a real deal, just average.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it, and will definitely take it into consideration.

Hunting Man, you mention you were, "Looking at the book." What is the book, and how do I access it? It could help me in my hunt for what I'm looking for.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
When in the market to purchase its wise to do some reshearch prior to the buying so I use Dan Shideler's yearly standard catalog of firearms. Pretty detailed on models and usually spot on for values. There are other yearly gun value books out there but I prefer this one.These aren't cheap, $40.00,but the long term savings more than pays for the book. Hope this helps you out some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts