Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like 38-42* for hanging temp. but for just overnight with the hide off anything under 48* should be ok.
Hunting man I am hunting about 100 miles from my house and will have to get home to process my deer. This is hypothetical but important . If I Kill in the morning but want to stay in the hunting area for my son to have an evening opportunity will my deer be ok all day. Temps should be fairly low in Dec. In Kansas. And I am planning to field dress and cover with a tarp in the bed of my truck if nessecary

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
One thing not to do is put a dark tarp over the deer with the sun heating things up. With cool temps you should be ok. If there's any question and you can get to a store, put bags of ice in the chest cavity then cover it up.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I've seen guys hang deer up with the temp in the 60's. My neighbor, he's an old army vet, he had one hanging for 3 days w/60 degree temps in mid october! He swears by this practice.... Makes me sick though.....

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
the safest thing to do is get it to the butcher ASAP, if you're forced to hang it overnight and the temp isn't at least 40 degrees, hang it head down and put some ice in the chest cavity, that will keep the meat cool enough until the next day then you can get it to the butcher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts