Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just wanted your opinion on my last day in the woods this season.
We had two dogs (not ours) chase what seemed like a billion (maybe a dozen) deer through our area, the first group of about 6 came through and kind of circled around but the only clear shot I had would have put a 4 lane road behind them, but while I was watching that group, I hear my dad shoot over in his stand, and turn around to see another group come through, This time one splits off and I get a shot. I felt it was a clean shot through the vitals. She ran about 30 yards and laid down behind some bushes (I would have shot her again, but the road was behind her). I could see her head and just watched for her to lay down completely, before she did, the dogs came back and she got up and ran. I followed until I couldn't hear the dogs anymore. I saw the wound when she got up, and I can't imagine she got to far, but they had to be a half mile ahead of me when I turned back, and I couldn't fine a blood trail to follow. I guess I have two questions.
1. What would you guys have done.
2. Is there a good way to keep dogs that aren't yours away from the deer? (other than a quick injection of lead)

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
That's a sticky situation you are in. Is there any possibility of finding out who the dogs belong to? I'm pretty stubborn about this stuff so I would've blasted them because they were on your property running wild disturbing the wildlife and ruining your hunt. Alot of differing opinions will probably come out of this.

G

·
talk to fish and game. see what they say. here if its a problem they will shoot the dogs there is also a $600 fine if your dogs are chasing deer and they get caught. but it is a sticky situation. i'd talk to fish and game.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought about that, I was afraid the dogs were a neigbhors, or a friend of the neighbors. We only actually own 7 acres, and the rest of the land we hunt is theirs. Neither of them hunt, but one does have another guy that they let hunt on the other side of their property.
Also thought about taking them home for a late christmas present to the kids (don't think my wife would have liked that one though).

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think that he dogs should be killed for doing what comes naturaly to them , but I think the owners should be held accountable for their stupidity. I know its a tough pill to swallow when your in the woods but put yourself in the shoes of the kids that call those dogs their pets and they don't come home at night. Stupid is as stupid does.

G

·
one of my favorite areas has a couple labs running all day long. they belong to kin of the landowner. its really got the area messed up. night time movement in there if much movement at all. i just bailed on the place till the next time i talk to the landowner.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
We get some coyote hunters that come through around here with radio
colard dogs, every few years , and run are deer as well..they dont care if they are on private property or not
I don't put up with it anymore

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm with huntr- and Hunting Man on this one. The owner should be held accountable for the dogs' actions. That's not as easily done as shooting the dogs, and how successful you might be depends on the local laws and ordinances. But, in most states, killing someone's dogs could get YOU in trouble instead of the person who is responsible for the whole situation in the first place. The three Ss gets the job done with those particular dogs, but it's too private - making a public example of an offender (dog owner), in the long run, could have more of a positive impact.

G

·
i wouldn't shoot a dog unless the game warden told me to in writing. in my case the dogs belong to a cop. you'd think he'd know better. he doesn't own the land his uncle does.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:no: I certainly don't want to shoot the dogs (I did consider it when I watched that beautiful doe run away) It was just very frustrating between my pops and I we lost 2 deer that day because of the dogs.

Better luck next year.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That is way too much going on for a deer hunt. Bad business shoting a dog. I have considered it once or twice but couldn't pull the trigger.

I would talk to the owner if you can find them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts