Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would recommend 165gr Remington Core-locts

When I first got my rifle it was a 30-06 and I had great luck using regular green box Remingtons. The 165 gr is the perfect balance point for this cartridge. Remingtons are usually the lower price ammo and that gives you more practice for the buck. Double check that the mounts and rings are nice and tight prior to taking it to the range.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
Remove the bolt and bore sight it

Save some ammo and make sure to bore sight your rifle at 25 yards at the range prior to shooting it. I always pull the bolt out and just adjust the scope to center the crosshairs on the bullseye with the bullseye also centered in the bore.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
All rifles have tolerances when they are built..

All rifles are not created equal, they each have there own soul in a way. I have seen two rifles from the same company in the same caliber prefer one factory load over one the other likes. I think it might be the minor variations in the build process. As milling machines wear tolerances change and that changes what they will like on not like. One might have a tighter chamber still within build specs while the other is on the looser side. This variance is even greater when you compare two different Company rifles. It is a Chevy/Ford thing. The company that makes rifle A tunes their rifle for say Federal Premium Ammo, where another may say set up for Hornady. It is great that you are getting quality performance out of your choice of Win factory, you might get better or worse from another Company's ammo. I reload and have a load that performs great, I don't fell there is a reason to try to IMPROVE it so I don't.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
1 inch groups at 100 yards are fine with me....

I think sometimes we forget just how big the kill zone is on the Whitetails we love to hunt. Hitting a paper plate with every shot is a dead Deer. I really like it when the rounds from the bench are touching at 100 yards but that level of accuracy isn't required for hunting. It does do wonders for a persons confidence in his/her rifle shooting. For those that have access to hunting areas where a 300 yard shot is likely then that is a different story altogether. Those shooters need a higher level of accuracy because they are shooting over 3 times farther than the rest of us. It sure is fun putting bullets through the same hole at 50 yards. When they are really close at 100 yards it is fun picking on your buddy who has a larger group. I always give them an out and say they must have more wind blowing infront of their bench, afterall it is 3 feet away from mine.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks for the video it was neat...

That was a nice video. I also watched another one on zeroing a scope that was embarrassing. He shot a group at 100 yards that was 3 inches high and 1/2 inch left. He was going to give it two clicks right for the windage but then was going to crank the elevation adjustment until his crosshairs were centering in the bull. This assumed the rifle was not going to move while he made these adjustments. I don't understand why the shooter who trusted the windage adjustment clicks didn't just turn the elevation 12 clicks down. Maybe I am missing something, either way the shooter is going to have to shoot another group to verify the adjustments.

Karl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.