Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of rifles that have been handed down through a couple of generations. Both are Remingtons, one is a model 81 in .300 Savage and the other is a model 740 in .244 or now called 6mm Remington.

Both are in good working order and I do enjoy their semi-auto functionality versus the bolt action rifles I have purchased since getting back into hunting.

Should I retire these "relics" (i.e. take out twice a yr, clean, oil, put back in safe)?

BTW - I see the reason that Texas DP&W put in the rules for bucks. The bigger antler spread means the buck gets a chance to fully mature and sire numerous offspring. But when a nice 6-point walks past your blind at less than 10 ft away and you have to let it go because the antler spread is about 11 1/2 instead of the minimum 13 inches, you really start to wonder about self-control.:whistling:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem as you did, but I decided to put the family rifles away and buy myself a rifle that would shoot straight and not hurt the pocket book so much, that way if something was to happen to that rifle, I would only be out the money I paid for it, instead of memories that it had. That's just my opinion, but I would retire them :yes:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
If you have children that will be hunting one day I'd keep them cleaned and well oiled for them to use and carry into the next generation.
Just imagine your great grandson possibly taking his first deer with a rilfe that his great grandad used, I can only wish that I had that option.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I really enjoy hunting with the old stuff, I would not retire them I'd enjoy the heck out of hunting with them. You can always pass things down. I still enjoy hunting with flintlocks so I may be out in left field on this one. One of my favorite deer rifles is a Savage model 99 in 300 sav cal, it was made in 1952. I don't consider this an old rifle. Old to me is pre 1900 rifles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i dont think anyone is trying to bash older rifels. im just saying that it would be nice to keep these family rifels at home protected from the eliments.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hunt NH, no bashing ever entered my mind. I simply think guns were meant to be enjoyed period. Taking care of them can include hunting with them. Put a little nostalgia in your hunt, its a great feeling for us old timers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If they are in good order and you hunt with them then I would keep using them. I took a doe opening morning with one grandfathers .270. I will hunt with it one more weekend then breakout my other grandfathers 30-06.

I honor them every year by hunting with them. In a few more years I will buy my first and retire the 30-06 because it is bumping 50 years old and it will be my first grandsons rifle. The .270 is only 10 years old and way too sweet to retire

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am with Hunting Man my father in law has several nice pieces that have been passed down to him and he still uses them today. His theory is why should I not enjoy using my grandpas gun? That is what it was given to me for. A few of those are coming my way sometime in the future and I intend to hunt with them as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm using my great uncles old Winchester 94 30-30 this year. I considered selling it and getting something with a bit longer reach, but I really like the way it feels in the woods. And it'll be the perfect size in a couple years when my son is ready to hunt.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rifles that have been in the family a while (personal opinion here) should stay in the family and never be sold. That .30/30 would be a great choice for your son. My oldest son used my Marlin 336 for his first deer.

I think I will 'retire' the Model 81, but I'm having way too much fun with the .244/6mm. I used it last night for the doe I posted in the gallery. Although it is semi-auto, I still like to use the Army sniper program's motto - "One shot, one kill!" - whenever possible.

Even if it is over 50 years old, I added a Simmons 3-9x scope tonight so that I wouldn't have to keep using the rifle's open sights. The rifle is lightweight (for its age) and has a flatter trajectory out past 200 yards than a .243.

Thanks for everyone's input!

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
(cough) (cough) (ahem) :whistling:

Since I have your first grandchild (daughter) and your second grand daughter (4th grand youngun) and third grandson (5th grand young un) I would definitly just go ahead and retire them. Like you said, take em out, oil them, look at them, put back in safe!!

Sounds like a great idea!! :whistling:

Plus since I have the oldest daughters (and only grand daughters as of right now) chances are you will get your first "Great" grandson outta my family. Just another reason to pass them this way.

Im just messing with you. :crazy:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmmmm . . . . . I do seem to have a Savage Model 11 in .243 sitting in the safe that isn't going to be seeing a whole lot of use (now that I'm having too much fun with the .244). 3-9X Simmons scope tops the bolt action rifle. Now, if I can only get that son in law of mine to ever come to Texas, I might seem to be able to part with it so my grand daughters (and can't forget grandson) have something to shoot with.

I'm sure that it's "enough" rifle for what they have in their neck of the woods.

G

·
here is an idea. hand them down now, while you can enjoy the passing along your heritage and see the use of family heirlooms continue to be used the way its meant to be.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My 2 favorite rifles I use is my pre-64 winchester 94 in 30-30 dates to 1954 and my remington model 740 in 30/06 dates to 1956.I prefer these older rifles anyday over some new fancy thing.I do have some newer rifles but dont ever use them except for target shooting.Also the new hornady ammo for the 30-30 puts a whole new spin on hunting with it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with Hunting Man on using these rifles. I don't think continued normal use on these particular rifles would diminish their value. But the question is obviously a personal one, so whatever you decide will be right for you.
In my opinion, the idea that older, bigger, "better quality" bucks will pass on their genes only after they mature, thus improving the herd, is nothing but a lot of bunk! There is no scientific reason to believe this. In fact, the science says just the opposite. The sons and daughters of expectional animals carry the genes of their parents from the moment they are born, so that's all they can pass on the the next generation regardless of how old or mature they are when ther start breeding. The genes don't improve as the deer get older. The only reason to not shoot smaller bucks is to give them a chance to mature to their full potential, whatever that may be. (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that.) Bucks and does will pass on the genes ("good" or "bad") they were born with whether they are fully mature or not when they breed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts