Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to hunting and would appreciate suggestions on the best semi automatic rifles and scopes for deer or best suggestion on bolt action.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My thoughts on semi autos verses bolt actions

Personally I love shooting both but if you are new to shooting I recommend that you look at bolt action rifles for hunting. An entry level bolt action will have a good barrel, good trigger, and will be easy to mount a scope on. I recommend that you look at standard calibers, stay clear of anything with the word Magnum in its name.

Karl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Karl!

I've been thinking about the Remington 700 series in 30-06. If I want a semi and am willing to spend some money do you have particular make and model and scope you would recommend . I'm in california so I'm restricted. Thanks again.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Semi auto rifles I recommend

Browning makes the BAR in most of the popular caliber choices. They are offered in both steel receiver and alloy versions. I have shot the steel version and it shot very well at 100 yards. One negative is they are expensive. Second is you are stuck with their factory trigger pull weight.

Remington 750- These are very popular where I live in MN. Possibly not as accurate as the Browning listed above. The Deer won't know the difference.
I did see that one guy is offering a replacement lighter trigger for the Remingtons.

Both hold 4 rounds in the magazine so even the Peoples Republic of California should let you have it.

Watch the youtube videos for disassembly on them for complete takedown. Neither one is easy to strip down for a total clean of the rifle.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
Scope recommendations

You didn't list what you want to spend. It is very important to make some decisions.

If you are only going to spend x number of dollars total on your firearms package that changes your choices.

You may want to spend a lot on your rifle and buy a cheaper scope to replace it later. The only problem is you end up with an extra scope sitting around.

If you spend at least 150.xx dollars on a scope it will not be a pos.

I recommend a Redfield revolution, or Nikon if you have 150-250 to spend.
I recommend a leupold or zeiss if you have 400-500 to spend.

Unless you are planning on really long shots or prairie dog shooting I recommend 1x4, 1x5, 2x7, 2.5x8, 3x9, 3.5x10 for your power range.

There are Members with far more knowledge than I have on this forum. I am sure they will be also offering their input.

Karl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for all of your information Karl

To answer your question I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to get a very high-quality rifle and scope with the longest range capability. I'd rather buy the best upfront and I have no problem doing that rather then buy something and then have to upgrade later. Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
My son just bought a bolt action Remington Model 783 in .30-06. It's a very nice rifle for a fantastic price. It comes from the factory with a Timney trigger, which is a very well known high quality trigger. He bought the rifle at Dick's Sporting Goods during their Black Friday sale for only $250 and that included a scope on it.

I read reviews on that rifle before he bought it & they were very good.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You liked the Remington 700 Bolt rifle

You stated in one of your first posts that you liked the Rem 700 in 30-06. I personally don't think that you can do wrong if you stay with that choice. I would recommend that you look at the various versions of it and choose the one that fits you the best. Their stock design vary a lot from one to the other. Ones to look at

Remington 700 CDL, really nice wood stock design

Remington 700 Mountain SS, synthetic stock stainless steel action and barrel

Remington 700 SPS, synthetic stock cheaper bead blasted action and barrel

The action operates rougher on the SPS due to the bead blasting but you will pay several hundred less for it. I personally would only buy a model 700 or model 7 action not the value based offerings from Remington.

Karl

·
Registered
986 Posts
Browning Xbolt or Abolt. You said you wanted range so most semi auto are carbine style with 16-18" barrels. So bolt action with a 20-24" barrel would be best. depending on what your hunting and range your going to be shooting IMO Id either go with a 270 or if that may be abit light Id go to 7mm mag. Top it off with a nice Nikon scope

·
Registered
788 Posts
Always wonder why no one mentions the Thompson-Center Venture? I'd rate the quality above the Savage, Remington 783/770 and Marlin entry level rifles, and yet the price is barely a gnat's eyelash above those. I have one in .223 and like it a lot. T-C Venture with the weather-shield finish in .308 would be a great entry level rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts