Deer Hunting Forums banner

Replace tranny or trade it in??

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve Luch 
#1 ·
2002 Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 4wd Limited.

142,000 miles. Loaded to the gills. Power everything. TOD, Push button 4wd or you can grind it in with a stick to make you feel manly!

Leather, heated seats, power seats, winter drive, power drive.

Crappy gas mileage which one would expect out of this vehicle. Maybe 15 to a gallon.

See what I can get on a trade or fix the trans and drive it for awhile longer?

2002 Isuzu Trooper Consumer Reviews

Discussion starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah it does burn oil like a maniac. Looking through the reviews on it and find everyone elses seems to as well.

I have a good mechnic that will fix anything on it except a complete trans overhaul.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Daily Driver. You just have to check oil weekly!

Trans problems are common from what Ive read online this morning.

Everything else seems in good shape. It uses quite a bit more than 1 qt between oil changes. 5w30 tends to run out very quickly. When I add 10w30 it lasts a little while longer.

If I can get someone to offer something like 2500 on a trade I think I would shake their hand.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Well Im glad I have yall fellows to back up my thinking. Wait let me back up a sec and throw this out there!

I ABSOLUTLEY CANNOT STAND DEALING WITH DEALERSHIPS!

But they seem to usually offer the most for a trade when your having major mechincal issues so in the postion I am in I drove it to a couple of dealers.

We argued for several hours. I got up and left once. Finally decided I do not want to risk not making it back to a dealership as bad as the tranny was acting up and decided to make a deal.

Ended up trading it on a 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring Sedan. Has a 3.5 V6 Rwd with 65,000 miles. Taxes, title, dock fee, (which dock fee is a crock) everything was $11,500

Got like $2,543 on the trade. I rode with the guy when he test drove mine. I told him how to drive so the tranny does not fall out in the road. He didnt learn very quickly and l am just happy we made it back to the dealership.

As long as they leave the car up on their site this link will work.
2005 Chrysler 300 300 Touring For Sale Winchester

Basically I paid their asking price on theirs they paid what I wanted on my trooper, $2500
Canceled the dock fee.

Vehicle drives smooth, very nice on the interior. Sun roof, Leather, power everything etc.

I started out wanting a 2005 Nissan Altima with the intent my wife use it for a year or so and then we retire this car to what I drive back and forth to work since it gets great gas mileage. 3 car seats will not fit in the back of an Altima.

The 300 has plenty of back seat room. Blows the trooper out of the water as far as interior space. SInce the 300 does not get awesome gas mileage this car will just stay our family vehicle until we decide its time for a change.

I didnt get an awesome deal but one I think was fair. I was not in the best bargaining postion with a vehicle on the crapper as my trade.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Another question..

This car has satillite radio. Do some vehicles come with SAT radio for life? Or is it just running on a subscription from whoever had it before? Never had this before.

It seems built in. I push a mode button on it and it changes to SAT from am/fm.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bruce.. I have to believe its just a previous owners scrip.. I would have thought the dealer would have bragged on this as a selling point if they were providing it..

I just hope the SAT company forgets to turn it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.