Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Ive owned and deer hunted with 870's but after the Dupont barrel scare I sold all my Remington shotguns and havent bought another. I have a 20 ga. Mossberg 500 set up as a spare deer gun and for the kids and I use a Winchester 1300 fully rifled 12ga with a red dot scope. Since I bought the gun in '03 its taken over 30 or so deer for me. I swear by it. If your wanting a good all around gun I'd go with the Winchester. Mine has a synthetic stock. On a side note I bought a Winchester mod 1300 in the mid 90's and it was a pile of junk. 12ga deer barrel, I almost never did find a slug it would shoot straight, 1st one I had to return to Wally's cause it wouldnt cycle spent shells/hulls. 2nd one cycled fine but threw slugs all over. Finaly found it shot Winchester foster style ok,used it one day deer hunting and sold it. Took a doe after I couldnt tell you how many shots. Found out that the rear sights moved too easy on it. Bought the one I have now used. It was made in '99, only other shotgun Ive owned for deer hunting that I was this happy with was a Marlin 512 Slugmaster. Lost mine in my divorce. If you can find one BUY it. Shoots like a centerfire rifle. If you want a deer shotgun Winchester, if you want something to dress up 870. Winchesters have alot of after market things available now too.

· Registered
10 Posts
Just as an after though what about the NEF Pardner pumps? Remington was thinking about sueing NEF but then Remington bought them out. Its identical to an 870 and ALOT cheaper. The story is in the new F&S or Outdoor life. Ive threatened to find one of the Pardner pumps myself just to have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.