Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having trouble deciding whether I should buy the the Remington 870 or the Winchester 1300. They both come up very nicely and feel good. Im just not sure which one is the better of the two. Any help and opinions would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
The only shotgun that I have ever owned was the Win 1300 speedpump. The whole thing is smooth and very nice to shoot. I like the way the pump ejects and reloads very fast and effortlessly. I know nothing about the Rem 870, sorry.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Realistically, one isn't "better" than the other, they both have great track records and both will do what the other can do.
What it's going to boil down to is which do you think "Fits You" best.
I have the Rem. 870 not because it's better but because that's the one that felt most fitting to me at the time of purchase.
Good Luck to you on whichever one you decide on.

·
Registered
23 Posts

While Winchester 1300 is a great gun, in my opinion, Remington's 870 is the great shotgun ever produced. I know there are people that would laugh at me for saying that but let me list a few reasons:

1. Over 10 million produced so there are parts every where and any gunsmith that is worth his salt can fix it blind folded
  2. They are reliable. You probably will never need a gunsmith even though I have seen 2 with bent magazine ejectors that occasionally cause it to jam but look at reason 1
  3. They are inexpensive. Compared to other shotguns, I feel this is the best bang for your buck.
  4. I had an after market shoulder pad put on mine and cut it to fit. I had a gunsmith do this and it cost $40 including pad! You can do that with the 1300 also but I just wanted to tell that story.
I am a little biased since I have 2 870's and only one 1300 but I love all three.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
ford or chevy?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
scouthunter I couldn't agree more. The pre 64 model 12 winchesters are a very good collector grade shotgun, however, the 870 has proven to be a great user friendly every day hunting shotgun.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
what about mossberg?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think I would go with the Remington only because of availability of parts, barrels, stocks, and chokes. You can pick them up at any and all sporting goods stores. Both are great guns but over the long haul the 870 will out shine the Winchester for these reasons.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a NWTF 1300 with an extra full chock and it is a super turkey gun, a quick change of chocks and it's a good small game getter. The 870 is a great choice as well, like was said it's what fits you best. Good luck, but you'll do great with either shotgun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would agree with TG on this one. Again, I have only hunted with a Winchester 1300. I cant say a bad thing about my gun. Really like the weight of it too when you are pushing deer all day as well. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive owned and deer hunted with 870's but after the Dupont barrel scare I sold all my Remington shotguns and havent bought another. I have a 20 ga. Mossberg 500 set up as a spare deer gun and for the kids and I use a Winchester 1300 fully rifled 12ga with a red dot scope. Since I bought the gun in '03 its taken over 30 or so deer for me. I swear by it. If your wanting a good all around gun I'd go with the Winchester. Mine has a synthetic stock. On a side note I bought a Winchester mod 1300 in the mid 90's and it was a pile of junk. 12ga deer barrel, I almost never did find a slug it would shoot straight, 1st one I had to return to Wally's cause it wouldnt cycle spent shells/hulls. 2nd one cycled fine but threw slugs all over. Finaly found it shot Winchester foster style ok,used it one day deer hunting and sold it. Took a doe after I couldnt tell you how many shots. Found out that the rear sights moved too easy on it. Bought the one I have now used. It was made in '99, only other shotgun Ive owned for deer hunting that I was this happy with was a Marlin 512 Slugmaster. Lost mine in my divorce. If you can find one BUY it. Shoots like a centerfire rifle. If you want a deer shotgun Winchester, if you want something to dress up 870. Winchesters have alot of after market things available now too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just as an after though what about the NEF Pardner pumps? Remington was thinking about sueing NEF but then Remington bought them out. Its identical to an 870 and ALOT cheaper. The story is in the new F&S or Outdoor life. Ive threatened to find one of the Pardner pumps myself just to have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My opinion

My opinion is that the 870 is the best shotgun ever made. It shoots great, feels good, and is reasonably priced. It is a very durable gun. It can take pretty much whatever you send its way. I have put my through alot and it still shoots as good as the day i bought it. My opinion thats a no brainer. Go with the 870.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
JJ, i can't disagree with you. Prior to 1964 winchester made probably the best shotgun for the hunter in the model 12. Once they stopped production on the model 12 Remington brought out the 870 and took over the pump gun market which continues today. The rem 870 is a legend in its own time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would pic the Rem 870 because alot of police use this shotgun . They are used by the military also but because I use one at work and home . Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 24 Posts