Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice. I presently have a browning A-bolt in 30-06 caliber and have been shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 gr. pointed soft points for years. The more I read it seems like maybe soft points would be a better choice for Whitetail deer and also a lighter bullet in 150 or 165 grain. Anybody have experience with any of these loads that could put their 2 cents in I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I shoot a .270
but when my father was hunting I know he used 150gr sp for deer & had great luck w/ them
I believe that is the most common choice for the .06

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am a believer in the 165 gr Pointed bullet in 30-06

I think the round nose is suppose to open faster but I think most hunter prefer the pointed soft point if they are shooting factory ammo. Reloaders also buy the plastic tip-ed pointed bullets by the truckload. There is nothing wrong with the 180gr loads, but your long range performance may be better using either the 165 or 150gr loads.

karl

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
There's very little difference between the 150 & 165gr bullets, both are well suited in the .30-06,,,
personally I prefer the 150gr PSP but if the 165gr are on sale, I don't mind saving a few bucks when I can.

G

·
.30-06

I used 150's for years with great results then for some reason got bored and started using 180's which were not as effective on GA sized deer (in my experience) since they seemed to shoot right thru without expanding. If I was hunting larger Northern deer I'd probably go with 165 or 180 but I won't use anything but 150's from now on in GA.

·
Registered
986 Posts
do yourself a great favor and spend a few more dollars and buy some better ammo.you will be very suprised to see the differance a few extra dollars on some better ammo will do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts