Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
just keep it clean. Had one and the only time I had problems with it was if I didnt keep it clean and oiled,just not to much oil

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I have a 760 rem that due to a fall I ended up installing 7600 stocks on it. It is a great accurate rifle. It was my first rifle purchase back in 1973. It has a Redfield 3x9x40 widefield scope on it. Perfect deer getting machine!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just don't work that action softly...

One of my friend's Dad missed the Huge Buck of his life using his Remington 760 in 270. The story goes that they were out in the woods early that morning and he had eased a round into the chamber. At the shot he got a click instead of a bang. There was a round in the chamber but no primer strike on the round. The bolt had not rotated quite far enough to allow the rifle to fire. Todd said after that when his Dad chambered a round you could hear it quite a ways off. They are a great choice if you also use a pump action shotgun. I have noticed that some of the Remington 7600s have a noisy rattle in the forearm that might drive you crazy.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
Rem 7600 Carbine w/18.5 inch in 30-06

I personally have wanted a wood stocked carbine for a long time. They don't show it in the current list of offerings now from the factory. I always wondered why they don't put sling swivels on the pump actions the 7400 autos also didn't have them. The new model 750 has them but they haven't moved this new style stock to the pump actions yet. Obviously the forearm would need to be modified to work the pump action.

Karl

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
30-06. I have always shot 150 gr bullets through it, however, from what I'm reading 165 gr may actually give better performance and something I will consider. This rifle is pretty much in retirement as I have enjoyed the Savage 99's lately. The next one to try is a pre 64 Win 88 in 308 which just got a Redfield 3x9x40 on it tonight. If the idea of a pump rifle meets your needs the Remington 760, 7600 are really well built. I don't know anything about the new models or what they are numbered by.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Actually my Rem 760 carries 7600 stocks. It has a slight edge in accuracy over the Savage 99 but not by much. Both are plenty good and 1" groups at 100 yds all day long with a good rest. I have a 300 and 250-3000 savage and both shoot just about the same. You know the 99's are one of my favorite all time rifles they just work well and are fun to hunt with.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am getting a Remington 7600. Anyone have one that can let me know if there any flaws or things they don't like about it?
I got mine a few years ago in .270. Just had to have a pump rifle which is unique. The gun did not fit me well. I was struggling to reach the crappy trigger so I cut back the stock 1" and added a good Sims recoil pad. I also modified the trigger to 3.5# as it was almost 8#. Shooting Nosler 130 ballistic tips I can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with a 3x9 scope. I seen value in the gun so I elected to mod it. It's a favored rifle in Northern New England area especially in 30-06. There are more accurate guns however it is a fine hunting rifle full of heritage.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I will never sell off my 760 30-06 it is plenty accurate, carries a Redfield Widefield 3x9x40, great to shoot for me having grown up with pump shotguns for ducks and geese and it was my first rifle purchase back in 1974 I think. Memory seems to fade over the years. :bag: I like the 7600 stocks better than the 760 heavy ones, just looks sleeker. Remington sent me a nice matching set after I fell and broke the origional butt stock. I have a nice 760 forearm if anyone is in need of one, just cover shipping plus $5.00.

G

·
noise

well if you cycle the action how it meant to be done 'like you mean it.' and then put the safety on there will be no problem. when you fire if its an animal I think the actions noise will be the least of its worries.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.