Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
For Texas whitetail, it's a proven round. There are many here in central Texas that swear by their 25-06. But like others have said, not enough info to really provide much input.

Rifle new/used
________ model Remington
etc.

I'll leave the optics for others to recommend. That's all going to depend on the amount of $$ you have to spend.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you can swing it try to spend 200 on a scope..

I don't know what you financial situation is but if you can afford it try to spend 200-250 on a quality scope. There is in my opinion a world of difference between the 100 dollar or less scopes and the 200-250 dollar range ones. The quality of the 200-250 scope with its more advanced coatings is much better. I think many rifle shooters will agree that there is very little difference in quality between the 250 dollar scopes and one that costs 450. You can go to the midway shooting website and look at the writeups on the midpriced Nikons for example. Many report that they are equal or very close to scopes costing 200 dollars more. I have a Nikon Monark in 1.5x4.5 and I find it very close to my Leopold 1.5x5 VXIII. The Leopold does cost another 200 dollars. I just wish the turrets were smaller on the Nikon. For general use I would recommend you look at midpriced scopes in 3x9 power range. All manufactures make one in this range and I think it is the overall most popular power range.

Karl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great caliber, very flat shooting, lots of speed and energy. For whitetails my favorite load is 52 gr. of H4831, 117 gr. Sierra BTSP, just about tickles 3,000fps..

.25-06 Rem. (120 Sp at 2990) .391 +2.5" +2.0" 3"@145 291
Sight 2.5" high at 100 yds, your still 2" high at 200 yds. Maximum point blank range is 291 yds. So for everything out to 291 yds, just hold dead on and squeeze.

JohnP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.