Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...

I know what a caliper release is.

What is a pure back tension release? I assume that this is some sort of release with no mechanical parts...

Also, the releases that have an open hook are called what?

I am looking for a new release and am not sure what is the best route.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I haven't used a back tension release yet. My buddy uses one and claims they get rid of trigger panic. He is a club shooter and shoots a lot of arrows weekly. The claim is you won't punch a trigger, but pull through the shot with your back muscles which sets it off. Thats all I know about them, it works for one person I hunt with. The open hook may be for a rope release? Not much help on this one!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i dont know about either.i shot with fingers then a tru-fire caliper ,which i still use

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
what ronn said, I do know a lot of tournament shooters use a back release, seems once you get used to it its more accurate. I still use a caliper release and it works for me. This is one area that everyone needs to resolve for themselves by trial/error.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Im from the school of "if it aint broke dont fix it":biggrin:

·
Registered
790 Posts
For hunting a caliper release is your best choice. Back tension release is better for targets. The reason for all of this is how they work, tension rel. works well in a controlled environment such as targets. Hunting is far from being a controlled environment so your caliper release is a better choice. Sometimes in hunting situations you have to punch your release.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Like I said I'm not one to say which is better, I've seen both types in actual hunting situations and both types work well for each shooter. Without starting a warm subject, I would rather not teach new bowhunters to ever punch a trigger. I'm not sure of any shot that I've taken that would have necessary to punch the triggher sooner than necessary. Controlled shots at un-alarmed animals should be thr normal shot,I could use a bit more informtion regarding the punching of thr triger. Lots of bad thingscan go wrongfwith triggher punch

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
its like when you pull the trigger as opposed to "squeezing" it on a gun

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
as in grabbing the trigger instead of pulling through the shot. Too heavy handed or fingered in this case. Some people naturally try to anticipate the moment the release fires, this is bad as it can lead to target panic. Most times accuracy is greatly affected. Staying calm, remembering to just pull through the shot/steady pressure on the trigger and things should go well. You should not ever try to time the release moment in your mind as it will eventually cause problems with your accuracy. Your mind should be on the impact point of the desired target. It should be a smoothe continuation of the entire shot motion, no herky jerky finger stabbing movements.

·
Registered
790 Posts
:goodposting:Huntingman you are absolutely correct in most cases however if you are placing a shot through a hole say 10" in diameter at 20 yards at a slow moving animal your release has to be steady and perfectly timed. By no means do I mean longer distances but at closer ranges in these cases the trigger is quick and deliberate. You must take into play I have been bow hunting for a long time and practice many hours doing exactly this. Once again you must practice this technique to be proficient. Now this cannot be done with any other release well or should I say I can't. Target shooting and the real hunting world are worlds apart in most cases-----Targets are begging to be shot but not a deer.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
wmi,I hear you, I'm just not sure that ever punching the trigger is a good thing. I believe in the same consistant, every release is the same, theory. Repetition is the key to shooting accurately whether it is target or live animal. My release is always the same, this works for me and I'm not trying to convince anyone to follow my lead. Good to hear your thoughts on this and lets get other's input.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
im with you huntingman.i believe in the repetition method so that at the moment of truth its almost instinctive no thought involved

1 - 16 of 16 Posts