Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need i say more all of us have had trips ruined due to the obnoxiousness of the red squirrel bark, have a story? whatta ya doin then lay down on youre keyboard and share!

·
Registered
820 Posts
The squirrels got so bad in my woods that I took a day off of deer hunting last year and went out with a friend and killed about 15+ of the little buggers in one afternoon. I don't think they've ever blown my cover, but I have had them practically crawl in my lap before. I really do hate it when I hear a twig snap which makes my heart start racing, only to turn around to see a squirrel...

·
Registered
799 Posts
that's why squirrel season starts a month before deer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha wisconsin deer yeah ive had moments where ya hear that crunch amd youre heart races just to find out its a red squirrel it sucks.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I dont think I've had one mess up my hunt before but one did make me crap my pants.

Im just taking it easy in my climber not hearing anything and this squirrel comes out of no where and lands on the tree right next to my shoulder. If I could have got the barrel in his mouth I would have blew him away.

·
Registered
602 Posts
One particularly good area we hunt in Kentucky also has fox squirrels and a couple years ago a few of them barked endlessly at me while on stand for deer. At season's end I took my new (to me) Win M490 .22 out there and whacked a couple of those buggers. Word must have gotten around about my revenge, because the last couple years have seen those fox squirrels left to be much more quiet. :eek:wned:

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Don't think one ever ruinrd my hunt but I have had them bother the crap otta me plenty of times. I'll always sit there and give em dirty looks and whisper how I'm gonna jack em up but it never makes them go away.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The squirrels got so bad in my woods that I took a day off of deer hunting last year and went out with a friend and killed about 15+ of the little buggers in one afternoon. I don't think they've ever blown my cover, but I have had them practically crawl in my lap before. I really do hate it when I hear a twig snap which makes my heart start racing, only to turn around to see a squirrel...
and they make for some good eats

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I have to admit they can be a problem, but some times I just love to watch them, it's like a circus act. All part of nature.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I used to take my blow gun with me to the stand, but found out that the blowing noise sounded too much like a pissed off deer. Now I take a slingshot. Neither one has a very good chance of killing the little tree rats, but it does scare them off for a little while. I also arrowed one 3 years ago, but you can easily empty a quiver doing that. lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to take my blow gun with me to the stand, but found out that the blowing noise sounded too much like a pissed off deer. Now I take a slingshot. Neither one has a very good chance of killing the little tree rats, but it does scare them off for a little while. I also arrowed one 3 years ago, but you can easily empty a quiver doing that. lol
haha i have indeed eptied a quiver i alwasy carry one arrow with a field point just in case

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Don't think one ever ruinrd my hunt but I have had them bother the crap otta me plenty of times. I'll always sit there and give em dirty looks and whisper how I'm gonna jack em up but it never makes them go away.
This is funny. A 250 pounder with a gun whispering to a 4 lb squirrel about how he is gonna jack it up. :w00t:

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
This is funny. A 250 pounder with a gun whispering to a 4 lb squirrel about how he is gonna jack it up. :w00t:
BF but this is the squirrel that TG probably encounters

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't say that they have blown my cover but I agree that they are annoying. I have had them run around the rail of my tree stand and scare me to death. I think it is amazing how much noise one squirell can make in the leaves and twigs. I have often times thought it was a deer but it end up being only a squirrell. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like them. They usually keep me awake and engaged. The crazy ones that try and climb in my stand are a pain but taking pics of them usually keeps them at bay

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
well TG I was laughing so hard posting it
But I do hunt western NY (Naples) I have seen the size of the squirrels you have out there HUGE
can't wait to get back there in 3 weeks

·
Registered
2 Posts
squirrels can be a source of entertainment during long stand sits, but can also alarm deer if they suddenly spot you and begin barking, i was sitting on a field line once, in came a doe @ 15 yrds in some tall grass, couldnt see the whole body, well when i moved to prepare for a shot, the squirrel that had been running around me busted me, doe vanished

1 - 20 of 20 Posts