Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall Im a new hunter, but ive had bows before, used strictly for target practice. I am thinking about getting into bow hunting this next season, one reason being that bow season is alot sooner than rifle and id get another month or so of hunting.

Thing is, im a huge history buff. Im weeks away from my bachelors in military history. And I think that it would be such a rush to hunt with an old style recurve bow or longbow (most likely recurve) used in conjunction with a ghillie suit for a stalk or stand.

Any brands of recurves or craftsmen that make them? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Sorry to disagree but on a used long bow or recurve you really need to visually inspect it for surface cracks and limb warpage. E-bay is fine for compounds which I have done in the past but I would never do for stick bows. To shoot stick bows they require extra shoulder muscles and really a great amount of practice. Instinctive shooting is the truest form of bowhunting and nothing is quieter than a stick bow. There are many places to purchase them (Cabela's ect) and the sky is the limit on price. I personally had several recurves starting with Bear and ending with full blown custom take down ones that 15 years ago were in the $800.00 range. I would start with a recurve in the $250-300 range (NEW) and see how you like it. Don't purchase a heavy draw weight because the weight stacks up as you draw it, opposite a compound. I'm 6"-215 lb and in my prime 60 lb at 31" draw was mucho plenty. Look up Three River's Archery supply on line it's a great place for all traditional bow supplies.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reviving an old topic here, but I'm still looking around for archery options. I was looking at a Martin Jaguar Take-Down Bow. Comes in a 50lbs pull back max. I really like the price is the main reason Ive kind of honed in on this one. I dont want a crappy one tho. Any thoughts? From Cabelas so its brand new.

Also Texas just authorized Crossbows for archery season but i have no idea what FPS would be needed for hunting b/c I see everything from 175 fps to wayyyy more. 175 seems really slow. I know some people dont think crossbows should be allowed during bow season and I dont want to get people all riled, its just im used to rifles and crossbows would be a much smoother transition learning curve wise.

Plus compound bows a freaking expensive. If they were less, Id get one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never saw anyone shoot an aspirin in the air with a compound bow or crossbow, but I know a guy who can put 5 arrows in a 3" bull at 100 yards with a compound. Byron Nelson does unbelievable things with a long bow. I've never seen him shoot a compound. Fred Bear, well all I need to do is mention his name. Sometimes when I think about all the parts that move, slip, break, bend, stretch, and crack I wish I'd never made the switch from the recurve to compound. I'd guess you need to figure out what you really want from bowhunting. As mentioned before, instinctive shooting is the purest form of bowhunting and certainly one of the most challenging, yet rewarding if you've got the time to practice. Stay off of eBay when puchasing a bow. One bad investment may ruin your passion to hunt for a long time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use both recurve's and compound's. My recurve is handmade so I cant help you with newer brands etc. Years ago I shot a Bear 76'er it was a take down recurve, good one too. My compound is old but shoots 2117's 31" at 48lbs 247 FPS. Its gets better penetration then a buddies ultra modern Matthews with carbon arrows whether we shoot field points or Muzzy's(I converted him) set at 66lbs. Back in the late 80's I hunted a few years with a recurve that had a sight plate on it for pins. It was a smooth shooter and I took several deer with it. I think Martin made it. Older recurve's/stickbows that are taken care of can last for years/decade's as opposed to some brands of compounds that almost self destruct after a few seasons. Buddy has a Bear takedown recurve from the late 70's he still shoots 3-D with. Have to watch the lamination on the limbs, never leave it in the sun or a car/truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
recurve

my opinion is i like recurve the best. I shot a big bull elk with my compound bow, but after that i shot a yearling doe with my recurve and i was more excited watching that deer fall than anything i have ever shot before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my opinion is i like recurve the best. I shot a big bull elk with my compound bow, but after that i shot a yearling doe with my recurve and i was more excited watching that deer fall than anything i have ever shot before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts