Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one plot with me in it is a brassica plot planted on July 10th. It is a mix of purple top turnips, appin turnips and dwarf essex rape. The seed has been in the ground for about 2.5 weeks and most of the plants are 4-8" tall.

The other plot is on a new 17 acre property I just purchased that adjoins the other 98 acres on the south south side. I am going to plant it around mid-late Aug in a mix of winter rye, oats, wheat, triticale and peas.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great plot man you using a biologic blend or what??
I try not to buy the expensive commercialized seed blends. They are wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced. I made up my own from welters seed and had it shipped. Even with shipping, I still spent less money than buying the seeds with the , "big buck on a bag."

I bought 7lbs total. Here is the break down

Purple top turnips-2 lbs

Dwarf Essex Rape- 3lbs

Appin Forage Turnip- 3lbs

7lbs was enough for TWO Plots. You have to be careful to not over seed. They are very small seeds. Use a small handheld grass seed spreader and use the lowest setting. Walk long ways and then width ways to get even coverage. I used 3.5-4pbs on this plot. I then did a no till experiment with the other 2-2.5 pds.

·
Registered
190 Posts
how did the no till work i have some good spots for small 35 yard plots but in a thicket to get there so cant get much equipment back there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guys on qdma say it works well. It's a pretty simple process

1) Spray with herbicide to kill all vegetation

2) Broadcast lime/fertilize

3)broadcast seed

You can do this all in the same day. Smaller seeds work better with this method such as brassicas and clover. Larger seeds do work, but the germination rates will be much lower.

You will need sunlight though......... IMO, this would be for someone who has minimal equipment. If at all possible, break the ground. I had a trail that receives good sunlight in a cut over. The soil probably isn't that great, but I thought I would see if I get any germination at all. If I do, I'll lime it good next year and plant again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts