Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently joined a hunting club after reveiwing A dvd I obtained from the Wi deer and turkey show. as I watched the video and then various clips on the clubs website it soon became obvious something changed with one of the main figures of the club. After a little searching on youtube my suspicians were confirmed.

I never say to myself, it could never hapen to me, and I never will. as soon as you say that , you leave yourself open for what follows in the clip below. gravity does not discriminate against anyone.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
When I read some of the stupid comments by people regarding this accident, I wonder what has happen to mankind? What jerks live in this world. I'm sorry for the hunter and sick from the comments.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Use extreme caution when hanging/sitting in tree stands. Check all the nuts, bolts, cables, and connections before you hang them. Like a preseason safety check.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I read those to. but somebody has to fill the lowest ranks of the human race. those are just examples of them.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Accidents can happen at any given notice. I don't hunt high so ladder stands fill my needs and I think they are far safer than hang-on stands. Like TG said be carefull with all stands, give them a good once over prior to every hunt.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
even if you check and recheck your stand, it doesnt mean it cant fail. if your stand fails, there is nothing between you and the ground.

ALWAYS imediately upon reaching you intended hunting elevation, attach to a safety harness. or beter yet use the kind that you are attached to from the time you leave the ground.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
All great point made I personally don't like heights so I am overly cautious I check all gear at least twice before I climb & continue to check throughout the hunt especially if I am hunting alone also my phone or radio is in a zipped pocket so it can not fall to the ground I have said many times on here how cheap I am (or how I can't afford the best stuff)
but on thing I do NOT skimp on is safety I know a lot of people say well those vests cost to much well my life is probably not worh a whole lot but I think it is worth more then the $100 I spent on the vest

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
WOW those comments are harsh... Goes to show you the type of people in this world. We all make mistakes. Heck I'll even admit that I've been up in a stand w/out a harness on, won't do it again, but have done it before.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
anybody agree i feel the safest with my climber,your strapped right from the get go and i never get that nervous feeling.there's no stepping down onto stand and thats where most accidents happen.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I only use ladder stands. I think they are the safest in my eyes. I do not strap on for the climb up though, but both my hands are free and I rope up my bow/pack once I'm up in the stand. I always, strap on right when I get to the top. I wish I had one of those harnesses that you could just hook onto the tree with. Mine's old-school and you have to wrap the strap around the tree and then feed it through the tightener.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anybody agree i feel the safest with my climber,your strapped right from the get go and i never get that nervous feeling.there's no stepping down onto stand and thats where most accidents happen.
I have used a climbed almost exclusively for the past 4 years and feel very safe while using it. just make sure you tether the top to the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I feel safer in a climber almost lost it setting up my brothers ladder stand a few years ago
good thing I had the safety vest on
ladder shifted as I was attaching the Tie down & off I went. we did have the bottom support on. but not really sure what happened. I got hold of the ladder on my way over & never reached the release of the vest I was a little Nauseous the rest of the day
no I only use a climber & needs to have a rail & would like to have one of those stunt man air mattress under it too

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Only had 1 bad stand incident. That one was using 6' sticks and while setting the second stick the weld broke and I ended up on my butt, no damage done. It was my fault for not using a safety and for just a second I didn't have contact with the tree keeping my weight in close. With ladder stands I try to get the support bar as high as possible before going up to secure the top. It's another reason I like pine/hemlock trees, lots of things to grab hold of.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
With ladder stands I try to get the support bar as high as possible before going up to secure the top. It's another reason I like pine/hemlock trees, lots of things to grab hold of.
I agree with that I try to find that tree that semi soft & has narly bark for that extra grip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts