Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of archers are using the Rage heads but I want to pass along some of my own experience and of my buddies up in the UP of Michigan. Last year I lost that pa 8pt with a square hit to the shoulder using the Rage 3 blade. Bad hit on my part but I know that the Muzzy MX3 would have made it into the lung area for a kill. My buddy, who has shot nearly 100 archery deer, has lost three deer using the Rage broadheads. These shots were all frontal shots behind the shoulder, showing lots of blood in the beginning but the bucks/does stayed on their feet walking over a mile, no blood trail left, to who knows where they ended up. These deer were not immediately pursued so they weren't pushed after the shot. I have also seen up close the damage the Rage head does and how quickly the deer can expire. Based on the increase of lost deer using the Rage heads by several hunters and new ones posted here at DHC, I have decided to go back to the trusted Muzzy MX3 heads. Crossbow and compound alike will shoot the Muzzy MX3.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I'm not a fan of rage broadheads in fact I would rather see hunters avoid using them altogether.
HM, I think you're making a very wise decision by going back to Muzzy Broadheads,
I also applaud the fact that you're making your personal observations and experiances public for all to see.
I've heard many stories, similar to yours and the more I hear the more I want to discourage anyone from using them.
Good Luck with the Muzzy's. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
well for me they have not let me down & I will continue to use them untill they do let me down but I do respect your comments & I would be happy to take them off your hands HM if you were using the 2 blades :smile:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My son took the remaining 3 blade Rage heads, he swears by them, me I swear at them, well only once, and it was all my fault. I just think with a marginal shot, I know you snipers never have a marginal shot, the Rage looses too much energy giving poor penetration vs a strong fixed blade head. These are just my own thoughts. I could be wrong, however, hell would freeze over first! :whistling: just kidding folks.......

·
Registered
94 Posts
I lost 2 deer with the rage 3 blade last year and were decent shots not perfect but decent. Im back to montec g5s and already had a clean pass threw kill this season. If you get any kind of angle shot your screwed
Mine are now in the quiver ready to shoot squirls yotes or fox

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have never tried a mechanical broad head, and don't really have any reason to. It seems like trying to complicate a simple job.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Won't use em

I understand people have had luck with them, but I don't allow my buds to hunt my land with them. They won't or rather haven't for me/friends penetrate bone. They can do a lot of damage (huge cutting diameter) but the Redhead Blackouts I used only have a little over a 1 inch cut make deer go down just as quick if not quicker. Also, I have a personal problem with them costing almost 50 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Well I never tried the 3 blade I use the 2 blade
this years deer I took out 3 ribs & a complete pass threw they will go threw bone & I only pay $30 they are as much as most good broadheads on the market
HM I do not want to start an arguement but I feel I need to ask
are 100% sure that same shot w/ the muzzy would have killed the deer
I ask only because I have heard both sides of the Rage stories with the 3 Blades too & I just have had GREAT luck w/ the 2 blades & if they dissapoint me due to the broadhead & not my error I would change to something else
but like I said the hole it puts through them & the blood trail it leaves (not kidding My bro-inlaw is color blind he has trouble seeing red & green now shoots the 2 blade cause even he can see the blood trail) is amazing
just my thoughts & if you are happy with what you use stick with them
it can get expensive with all the different broadheads on the market
so I guess what I am repeating here is I purchased the rage & for me they work wonders & I will use them untill they mess up
well leaving for NY tomorrow so I will talk to you all in a week
GOOD LUCK & HUNT SAFE

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two of our hunting group love the 3 blade Rage heads, my son being one of them and has good success not perfect though. I've experienced many times what the Muzzy heads due and it's amaizing. I'm not a fan of the Muzzy 4 blade as it cuts a smaller hole. I have no experience with the Rage 2 blades. My own opinion is the Rage 3 blade expands too much energy at the point of contact vs the Muzzy MX3. This only my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have never shot a fixed blade
I shot rocket hammerheads for years with dead deer on every shot
last year we all shot 3 blade rage with good results, one friend did hit a doe to far back and never found it
This year i wanted to go back to hammer heads but they were out ,
so i got G3 T5 broad heads you have to watch them to make sure the spider clip is holding the blades tight , i dont like that so much

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
so i got G3 T5 broad heads you have to watch them to make sure the spider clip is holding the blades tight , i dont like that so much
That's why I shoot the Magnus Stingers guys... TAKE them out of the package, SCREW THEM into your arrow shaft, and GO HUNT. There's no sense in having to play around with RAZOR sharp edges and cutting your hands all up.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
the grim reapers are the best mechanical broadheads, but thats my opinion.
If someone was determined to use mechanical broadheads The Grim Reapers are the only ones I would suggest.
Grim Reapers (I Think) are the industry leaders in mechanical broadhead technology.
But, I will always promote fixed Muzzy broadheads first, long before any other brand or mechanical broadhead.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I started out hunting with mechanical broadheads and have killed a few deer with them. Two years ago I switched to Muzzy fixed blades and dont see myself switching to mechanicals again.

The only negative I have is that the Muzzy practice heards tear up my practice target. My first deer with the Muzzys, two years ago, was my first Archery deer that I saw drop, only going 10 yards. (It was a center heart hit). The fixed blades just give me a better feeling and more confidence, plus they are cheaper to maintain and reuse and easier to work with.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just haven't seen any compelling reason to try Rages or any mechanical broadhead for that matter. if you practice, and hit what you aim at where you aim at it. there is nothing a Rage offers that any other fixed blade broadhead doesn't deliver. blood trails dont matter if you drop them 10 yds from where you hit them and entry wounds dont mean anything if you don't hit vitals. Ill take a muzzy with a cutting dia of 1/2" and drop a deer. fact is 1/2" or 1 7/8" does the same thing on a heart/lung shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.