Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second season hunting. got two last year, three so far this year. I am hunting on private land out of a wooden box blind on the ground. I have covered the inside walls and floor with carpet to insulate sound. After reading so many posts in reference to scent I'm wondering if I should spray Scent Away inside to cover my scents, coffee, ect. Next question y'all will laugh me out of here. As I am a smoker and smoke on this property all during the year, do deer get accustomed to the smoking smell. The reason I'm asking is it seems they do, I've smoked in the stand and still see many deer. Once had to put a cig. down to shoot a deer. Have I been lucky or just have dumb deer?
Thanks, Charlie

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I would definately spray down the blind, it cant hurt right?
as far as smoking I don't know if smoking hurts a hunt but I'd bet it doesn't help a hunt. I think every odor triggers a deers awareness, whether it's ciggarette smoke, chewing gum or even bad breath trying to avoid the odors is probably a hunters best choice.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Smoking defeats the whole scent elimination spray thing. Keep doing what your doing, if it gets you deer them don't change the routine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any smell that you bring to your hunting spot that aint there while you are catfishin is going to affect your hunt. congratulations on a successful season, but i am willing to bet that you have been busted by many deer that you never even saw if you are not scent free. that one sniff thats out of whack is what will make that trophy buck or ultra smart momma decide to come back at midnight instead of when you can shoot

·
Registered
59 Posts
i too am a smoker, alot heavier than i would like i might add. but i leave my smokes on the kitchen table before i leave to cut out tempation. i have left them in my truck before i walk in, and at some point mid-hunt the temptation becomes too much and i walk out. good luck hope it helps lol

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
although recomending that you keep smoking, and not using scent killer is generaly bad advice. i agree with TG, sence it is working for you i would not change what you are doing.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Like I've said before, don't smoke and hunt. I'm sure you'll get lucky every now and then, but smoke is not a natural smell that deer smell. That's a bad habit to start for anyone out there that is considering it... I smoked throughout college and i'm so glad I quit. In a weeks time after stopping, you'll feel a HUGE difference in mood, energy, and overall body comfort. Oh and BREATHING too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Trying to quit them after 25yrs............If I can put 'em down for a whole day in a treestand I should be able to just put 'em down

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, your advice is greatly appreciated. I'll leave the smokes at home. As far as the guy who asked where in central Tx. The small town of Melvin. on US 87 between Brady and Eden. There are more deer here than people. Thanks again friends, Charlie

·
Registered
824 Posts
Used to drive HiWay 190 out to El Dorado on my way to I-10 west. (San Saba/Brady/Menard/etc.) That's pretty county out there and I'm envious of your deer population. Best of luck to you this season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts