Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im interested in hunting public lands but dont know anything about rules, regulations, areas, ect. I used to hunt on leases but that got too expensive. Im going to school in lubbock, I was hoping I could get info on areas around west texas. First, where to go? How do permits work on public lands? If i get a license, am I allowed to go into any public land and hunt during the entire season? Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
798 Posts
Jason, all your questions are valid, and you are wise to ask them BEFORE going out and maybe doing something that might get you into trouble. The laws governing access, etc. on public land vary quite a bit from state to state. Hopefully, we have folks on this site who are familiar with Texas regulations. In the meantime, I'd suggest you check with your local state agents, wardens, licensing offices, etc. for the answers to your specific questions. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Hey Jason, welcome to the site. Sorry I have no info to pass on to you but hang in there somebody will definitely be able to help you here. Thanks onehorse.

·
Registered
824 Posts
From the initial discussion, I'm guessing that you're a student at Texas Tech. Can't say nothing bad against Tech -- my uncle is a Red Raider alumni!

But OneHorse has already said about the same thing that I was going to say -- check with your local state agents, wardens, licensing offices, etc. for the answers to your specific questions.

The locals there know where the "public" lands are. I'm located north of Austin, so I won't be much help to you. Any place that sells hunting licenses "should" have the Tx Parks & Wildlife Dept books that lay out the "rules & regs".

Here's their website -- Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Hunting & Wildlife

Best of luck in school and better luck hunting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts