Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I heard the new lights with the option for green light do not spook game. Personally I never use a light unless it is neccasary.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I don't believe it's the flashlight that spooks the Deer, I think it''s the smells and sounds that travel along with the light source... just a thought...:unsure:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Without question green is the way to go. I have walked right up to deer and had foxes walk right past me with the light on and never spooked. Yes the wind was in my favor but it was pretty cool to get within 15 or 20 feet of the deer. The fox was so close he could have peed on my boot! I use the Streamlight Stylus because it is very compact about the size of a ball point pen and puts out an unbelievable amount of light. Highly recommended. Even with all of this confidence in this light I use it sparingly only when needed. One thing about green is that it is not worth a darn on a blood trail.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No idea about deer but i know that the military uses red b/c its the lowest visibility at long range. Arent deer colorblind though?

So I would think that it wouldnt matter what color it was, they would just see light and movement and spook.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
isent red also used for preditor hunting due to the fact that animals relate white light to people and on coming cars? good to know about the green.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was thinking about getting me one of those blood tracker flashlights with the colored LEDs for tracking bloodtrails in low light situations. Has anyone use these or know if they work or not? I don't want to spend 30 bucks for nothing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have one of those blood tracker lights, and haven't had that much luck with it helping on a blood trail. I actually found it easier to see the blood with a regular lantern than the blood tracker light. I still carry it for the green light to use getting to the stand in the morning. It has a switch that will turn on red, green, or clear leds...the box says green "will not spook game".

·
Registered
790 Posts
Coleman Lantern is far more effective for me. Those blood lights just really did not do everything they said they would. Flex is right on the money.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ever since I started hunting last year I have wanted a good snow hunt. The chances are slim since we don't get snow every year in NC and if we do get some, it will usually fall after the season is over. Heck the grass is usually still green around here until mid November. I'll get a snow hunt one day though. I am sure it makes for some easy tracking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank's for the info,I will for sure try green.I have to walk a long way to get to my stand and always worry about spooking every Deer in the woods.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with bruce its not the light that scares them. I've walked up on deer with white light, and until they smell me they are curious and try to figure out out I'm all about. Once they smell me they're gone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey friends...
I have read some where that deer can't see well in red and green spectrum, and can see well in blue spectrum. But I think Red lens would be better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts